Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Start Here > Contests and Competitions

Contests and Competitions MP3unsigned hosted contests and competitions

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 25-06-2012, 06:04 AM  
Comp Question...
Hydro Hellsing Hydro Hellsing is offline 25-06-2012, 06:04 AM

Are we (Site Members or just VIP's) allowed to host Competitions and if so are we allowed to give away Prizes not related to Music as long as the Comp's Music Oriented?

Hydro Hellsing
* Pop Star *
Views: 3292
Old 29-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Member of The Human Race

LIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to behold

Surely this is a simply vote tally based decision isnt it?
If I like it, I vote for it! doesnt get much simpler than that. I dont have to have knowledge of its genre to determine if it makes me feel good.

...Maybe, just ,maybe we could have a comp where the members stop acting like kids (me, me, me, me, me,) and just go with the flow and have a little productive fun...perhaps thats just ruled me out of winning for speaking my mind...oh well I`ll live with it.

Music is the silence between the notes
- Claude Debussy
Sponsored Links
Old 29-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Software Librarian

TonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to behold

If my opinion counts for anything these days, I think it would be cool to have a 'Y'-Factor (as in "Y the feck did YOU enter") judging panel, say for instance:

Oakwood, Hydro and Essence?
Old 29-06-2012, 11:22 AM

*** GIT ***

James Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the rough

I have no problems with anyone judging this or any other competition. I originally offered as a kind of joke with the premise that I couldn't enter a competition that is being judged by me thus preventing me winning. C'mon lighten up dudes.

Judging or voting - that's the first question to be dealt with then if it's a "judged" compo, who is gonna do the judging. Now these aren't hard decisions, so Hydro, as you started this thread and are offering to award a prize you should decide.

Someone take ownership

Andy
Old 29-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Software Librarian

TonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
If my opinion counts for anything these days, I think it would be cool to have a 'Y'-Factor (as in "Y the feck did YOU enter") judging panel, say for instance:

Oakwood, Hydro and Essence?
Seriously, I think this could be a fun idea.
Old 29-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

It's true that Hydro has offered to provide the prize. He's been in touch with me by PM. Andy doesn't want be judge anyway, so that's that. I have no problem with Hydro being judge, it's reasonable enough.

I had assumed it was more of a vote-gatherer needed rather than a judge. In that case, if the votes were made public after it ended, it wouldn't really matter who did the vote-collecting (other than that they shouldn't be a comp entrant themselves).

As Andy said, the first thing to be decided is whether its a vote based system or judgement based, like a kind of X (or Y) factor thing.

Up to you guys.

PS: Just thought I should point out that the Summer Themed Comp was actually Pidgeman's idea, then Hydro started this new thread about comp prizes. I've PMed Craig with a list of suggestions and advice about running the comp, to help kickstart it, but haven't heard from him yet. I don't think he wants to be in charge either, because he wants to enter the comp. I'll forward the suggestions to you Hydro ASAP, then let me know what you think.

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned

Last edited by Darth Raver; 29-06-2012 at 13:09 PM.. Reason: Added post script
Old 29-06-2012, 13:28 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

My point about Andy been a judge is he doesn't know anything about EDM.
How many times have you seen Andy comment on Dance music other than KTA...it's very little...Thats because he doesn't understand it too well.

Was for that reason only.

I would personally prefer if we had judges rather than people who enter vote.
I don't think that system works too well...Plus not all people vote.

I only enter for fun but I'd like a fair crack @ it rather than a biased vote.

Old 29-06-2012, 16:11 PM
Member of The Human Race

LIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunktional-DJs View Post
How many times have you seen Andy comment on Dance music
I`ll have you know Andy was around when the Charleston and the Jitterbug were all the rage - to say he knows nothing of Dance Music is simply outragious

Music is the silence between the notes
- Claude Debussy
Old 29-06-2012, 16:34 PM

*** VIP ***

Pidgeman will become famous soon enoughPidgeman will become famous soon enough

I personally don't think any one person should judge as there will always be bias no matter how impartial they try to be. Public vote is the only fair way to do it.
Also, to make sure that it's still summer when the voting takes place there should be a deadline set for entries.
Maybe Sunday August 12th for entries and then Friday August 31st for votes.
That gives everyone just over 6 weeks to finish their track which should be plenty of time.
Anyone disagree?

Old 29-06-2012, 17:46 PM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input Craig. All practical ideas. If Hydro is cool with the dates and timeframe, shall we go with that? Let's get the ball rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunktional-DJs View Post
I would personally prefer if we had judges rather than people who enter vote.
Agreed! Only allowing comp entrants to vote is far from ideal. I reckon any mp3u users should be allowed to vote. You could narrow it to anyone with artist accounts containing their own original music, and exclude listener accounts, if you prefer.

Even if we allowed listener account votes, admin can see the IP addresses where all votes are received from, so any double-votes from the same address can easily be discounted. It would only become problematic if we suddenly got thousands of votes coming in a very short space of time.

But the point is, you said you would prefer "if we had judges" and this I agree on. One judge will always be biased no matter what. I can totally understand Hydro not wanting to ship the prize for a winning track he personally hated, but if he were the sole judge, then I can imagine several artists might drop out (for example Andy!) as they might think their genre was just not Hydro's cup of tea. In exactly the same way Ricky would not enter if Andy was the judge.

A panel of judges seems the fairest way to go, and if it's an open vote - that's a panel of judges right there!

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned
Old 29-06-2012, 17:54 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

I agree and think having multi judges from different fields of music would be much more welcome... I don't think listener accounts should be included it should be community members only.

I liked the idea of the 3 judges named but I thinking having more range would be better....more judges...after all it is just for fun so maybe just having people who enter and forum members vote will be more acceptable...I don't like that idea but it seems to work out Ok that way.