Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Start Here > Contests and Competitions

Contests and Competitions MP3unsigned hosted contests and competitions

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Disappointing end to the competition.
alive alive is offline 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM

We have a well deserved winner in Scott Slater. I feel a bit disappointed with the climax to the summer song contest though. Nothing from the Judges as to why the winner and the two runners up were chosen - indeed no feedback for any of the entrants. The results page from the last contest "Jubilee" (which relied on membership votes) not only detailed the voting scores but used quotes from the members who had voted. These comments gave an indication of why the song had been voted for - the good things and bad things about each entrant. Just to announce the winner and runners up was a bit lazy and lame in my view. Even on X factor (which the competition banner parodied) the judges are expected to give a point of view and an opinion. I was just expecting something a bit more involved.

alive
High school drummer
Views: 1182
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Software Librarian

TonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to behold

Aye, flat as a fart!
Old 09-08-2012, 14:23 PM
Member of The Human Race

LIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to behold

Ok here is a suggestion - Lets avoid digging into Hydro and Co as at the end of the day the competition was a success and it generated some excellent music with 3 worthy winners.
How about this? - James could you start us of and offer up a simple to understand template for competition standards that all our comps need follow. Seems reasonable that judges have to comply with a set of guideline as well as the entrants.

Personally I`m not a fan of panel based comps but hats off to the lads they seem to have picked 3 good tracks and wheras it might have been felt that they all had an electro bias clearly Scott winning has put an end to such speculation.
I wouldnt be put off entering another comp lead by those 3 but I agree with James it would be nice to get an insight into their selection process.

p.s Did I do better than Oakwood...thats what really matters

Ant

Music is the silence between the notes
- Claude Debussy
Old 09-08-2012, 15:11 PM
High school drummer

alive is on a distinguished road

Not meaning to dig into Hydro and Co. I applaud their choices. But just some observations from the panel would have been nice - we chose Scott as the winner because of the melody/lyrics/instrumentation/production/summer vibe etc - the runners up were chosen because ..... and so on. For me the competition created a bit of buzz among the site users but the climax to it felt flat. As i mentioned the Jubilee results page was interesting and informative and i was expecting something similar. Users spent hours perhaps days creating their summer tunes - would have been nice for the judges to spend a little bit of time sharing their thoughts about them with us.
Old 09-08-2012, 17:58 PM

*** GIT ***

James Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the rough

No, Ant you didn't hee hee

If feedback is what you want then this is the place to deliver it. I'm not bothered about whether the judges giv it or not so if anyone fancies doing a mini synopsis for each track I'll try and do the same - honest feedback not the main site stuff of course. The analysis may disagree with the judges findings but so what - one dude's opinion's worth as much as the next dude.
Old 10-08-2012, 14:20 PM
* Pop Star *

Hydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura aboutHydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura about

HAHAHA The comp's over so I don't have to be professional and polite no more LOL. The least I can say in response is who the hell cares LMAO, it's not the first comp that left out the comments and opinions of the judging panel.

Last summer comp here I entered was probably 2008 & I lost because the track wasn't well engineered/produced, they didn't tell me that, they just said some tracks were good but lacked in those departments, didn't go into detail on anyone's particular track, who even cares..

But if it calms the soul I will say HMC International was set to win but for engineering flaws, Scott had the better deal overall so he got top spot, plus I'm busy son I own a business and got shit to do, Scott won is all I was worried about and I wasn't even sure I was gonna wake up in time to post the results LOL...

But the next comp I host will be more organized, this comp literally came on the spot and I wasn't prepared in an instant for the short time we had due to the Rob Papen comp. Also next time the Prize will be better, maybe a BlackBerry 8830 World Edition or some other kind of phone or maybe even a Tablet, I'll see what money good fortune brings me lol...