Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Start Here > Contests and Competitions

Contests and Competitions MP3unsigned hosted contests and competitions

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 18-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
All those in favor of another Acoustic contest say I
Acoustic Contest 2014 18-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Hi All,
I was thinking, sure would be nice to kick off another acoustic contest, this time not so many rules.
rules as follows
1- must be human
2-Must have a paypal Account that works, so if you win you can get payed or your full name and address and the address of your local western union office as an alternate payment option. Without either of these the song shall not be entered into the contest.
3-you must sing and play an instrument in the song
4-computer software allowed for post effects of your unplugged performance
5-all unplugged instruments allowed in contest and any sound that can be recorded with a mic shall be permitted.
6-3 song limit of 3 mins 30 seconds each, do not exceed the time limit or the song shall not be entered.
these are not the official rules so nothing is set in stone at the moment I'm
just putting it out there for any other ideas etc.

The prize shall be posted before the contest begins.
where to send the song shall be posted later also
the dates I'm thinking October 1st 2015 - December 1st 2015
so stay tuned for further information

Acoustic Contest 2014
Views: 2317
Sponsored Links
Old 18-07-2015, 13:23 PM
The Late David Main

Aye (to be annoyingly pedantic)!

But why the tight time limit? I just posted something (under my Call Me Ishmael sock puppet) that would qualify for this if the limit was, say, 5 mins. Can't see that it matters all that much.

And could the rule be that the track must be predominantly acoustic in sound - so that some modest colouration with amplified or electronic instruments is permissible? The reason I say "in sound" is that, as we all know, good quality samples of acoustic instruments are sometimes hard to distinguish from the real thing - but technically they're electronic samples not acoustic instruments recorded at first instance. So their use would lead to disqualification. But how would the judges know..........?
Old 18-07-2015, 13:50 PM
Final level of Guitar Hero

Blueslick is on a distinguished road

I assume that you will have the contest sponsored by an interested corporation, a music related business or ? We've only just got funding for the site for the next few months an I personally do not want any contribution of mine going towards prize money. I contributed to keep the site open ... rather than fund contests, that's the priority right now

Phil
Old 18-07-2015, 14:28 PM

Vin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Late David Main View Post
Aye (to be annoyingly pedantic)!

But why the tight time limit? I just posted something (under my Call Me Ishmael sock puppet) that would qualify for this if the limit was, say, 5 mins. Can't see that it matters all that much.

And could the rule be that the track must be predominantly acoustic in sound - so that some modest colouration with amplified or electronic instruments is permissible? The reason I say "in sound" is that, as we all know, good quality samples of acoustic instruments are sometimes hard to distinguish from the real thing - but technically they're electronic samples not acoustic instruments recorded at first instance. So their use would lead to disqualification. But how would the judges know..........?
I like it, no time limit and predominantly acoustic.
Old 18-07-2015, 14:45 PM

Vin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueslick View Post
I assume that you will have the contest sponsored by an interested corporation, a music related business or ? We've only just got funding for the site for the next few months an I personally do not want any contribution of mine going towards prize money. I contributed to keep the site open ... rather than fund contests, that's the priority right now

Phil
Hi Phil,
keeping the site open is going to be a main concern of mine also.
All funding for the project is private and shall in no way come from mp3unsigned.com.
I have held off posting the prize amount/amounts and I'll tell you I was thinking a large banner for 1st place,medium banner for 2nd and small banner for third and maybe some cash prizes also to the 1st place winner of maybe 100.00 USD.
the banners would be paid in advance of the contest through paypal .
I think keeping this site going is top priority also , having fun doing it can be too.
If Mp3unsigned does not want this contest I'll pull the plug , no problem.
Vin
Old 18-07-2015, 17:01 PM
The Late David Main

Here's an idea Vin, building on Phil's justifiable concerns. If you want to enter the competition, you pay a fee. 5 bucks? 10? 75% goes to the site fund, 25% goes as prize money. I have a feeling that would fly with all the regulars

In the unlkely event that I won a prize I can say right now that I'd happily waive it and put it back in the mp3Unsigned piggy bank.
Old 19-07-2015, 01:46 AM

Blueslick is on a distinguished road

^ great idea ^
Old 19-07-2015, 06:44 AM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good idea, Vin. I'll leave the details up to you (since this comp is your idea), but it might be possible to combine a few of the above ideas.

To be honest, the idea of charging a competition entry fee had occurred to me (in some competitions such as art contests, talent contests, sports, martial arts tournaments, etc., that is the normal procedure, which goes toward funding medals, trophies, and so on), but I was hesitant to suggest it because mp3u comps have always been free up to now. If artists are willing to do so, it could work.

So how about this idea:
Artists pay an entry fee per song submitted to the comp directly to mp3u. All fees received go toward hosting and development.

As suggested, the first place winner gets a large banner permanently displayed in honour of their win, 2nd place gets a medium banner, and a small banner for third place.

Even though banners are priced 75, 50 and 20 dollars respectively, even if the total accumulated entry fee money is less than 145 dollars, mp3u will still put up the banners as promised.

Whether the total entry fee money is more or less than the cost of three banners will be irrelevant. That cash will go into the kitty toward hosting and development, regardless.

Perhaps judgment could be done by Vin and the same or similar panel of judges as in his last comp?

Just an idea. What say you?

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned
Old 19-07-2015, 11:10 AM
The Late David Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Raver View Post

As suggested, the first place winner gets a large banner permanently displayed in honour of their win, 2nd place gets a medium banner, and a small banner for third place.

Even though banners are priced 75, 50 and 20 dollars respectively, even if the total accumulated entry fee money is less than 145 dollars, mp3u will still put up the banners as promised.

Whether the total entry fee money is more or less than the cost of three banners will be irrelevant. That cash will go into the kitty toward hosting and development, regardless.
A refinement on that would be for the winners to have banners free for a limited period - say three months. If they want to continue with them when that period expires.......they have to pay the going rate. A little commercial awareness is appropriate right now. And I'm sure if it's explained most reasonable people will understand the reasoning.
Old 19-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Hip hop hummer limo driver

tbwig is on a distinguished road
Default nice to see the infusion of energy with a comp

Vin's idea is a great way to infuse some much-needed interest in mp3u. What Vin is doing is what I know each of us can do for mp3u: support the site by doing things we are able to do in ways that we can manage and that play to our strengths. Vin's acoustic comp was successful, in my opinion. It got artists participating who, perhaps, are not always that present on the site. It celebrated creativity and skill. It was nice to see good tunes and performances acknowledged because, as we know, the charts don't really tilt that way

Nice to see the ideas about entrance fees and banners, too.

So, good on ya, Vin! Good to see interest and ideas flowing.

"Ask not what MP3U can do for you, but what you can do for MP3U!" Somebody said that, I'm sure