Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Start Here > Contests and Competitions

Contests and Competitions MP3unsigned hosted contests and competitions

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-02-2016, 15:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pop song comp results!
Darth Raver Darth Raver is offline 03-02-2016, 15:37 PM

The RESULTS of the MP3Unsigned POP SONG COMPETITION are in!

Many thanks to our sponsors, Ricatech, who made it all possible

Below are some judges' comments on each of the 18 songs, to be followed
shortly by the announcement of winners (hold on to your seats):

SLAVE TO THE MOON - 4moreinc

"Loving this upbeat track. Could easily imagine it on the 'American Werewolf in London' movie soundtrack." "More like 60s rock than modern pop, but a cracking tune! Gets this competition off to a very good start."
Highest chart ranking: 3

STELLA'S AUNT - RonD

"Fun, racy lyrics. Trying to imagine if any teen pop stars would sing similar lyrics. Maybe Britney Spears might have sung them as 'Stan's Uncle'... " "A very catchy and memorable song, I found myself singing in my head days after hearing it."
Highest chart ranking: 21

KNEW IT WAS TRUE - Call Me Ishmael

"Another fine upbeat tune with touches of ska/reggae." "Lyrics in the verses seem slightly sophisticated for an average pop song, but the choruses fit the bill perfectly."
Highest chart ranking: 18

REMOVE YOUR DISGUISE - Conflux

"This has a very Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine vibe going on. A slice of 80s pop." "Yet another catchy, radio-friendly tune in an increasingly difficult to judge comp!"
Highest chart ranking: 9

HEART STOPS BEATING - James Bell Collabs with Deggsy

"The choruses sound 70s, reminiscent of the Bee Gees, while the verses sound 80s, almost like a Billy Idol track. It's an interesting combination, that works." "Nostalgic disco pop tune. Great work!"
Highest chart position: 1

CUZ U - Russell Arthur

"I can definitely imagine this on the radio or pumping in a nightclub. Excellent job!"*"The closest to modern pop in the comp so far. Love Shannon's sultry vocals! This could easily be an Ariana Grande track"
Highest chart position: 13

SHE CANNOT BE (NO, NO, NO) - KALLEN

"Impossible to pigeonhole this track into any particular genre - highly original!" "Very experimental sound. Some parts sound megamix, some sound improvised. Nice production values."
Highest chart position: 21

BAPTISED IN HER TEARS - DJC & Company

"After Slave to the Moon, this is the second in the comp to feature a guitar solo. A rocking tune with DJC's trademark vocals." "Not the most poppish so far, but a cool tune nonetheless"
Highest chart position: 6

THIS SONG'S NOT FOR YOU - stonedog

"Vocal style is similar to Billy from Greenday in the 'Dookie' era. Stonedog admits pop isn't his genre, but he manages to pull off a cracking tune regardless." "Love the cynical lyrics! A brilliant anti-pop pop song"
Highest chart position: 19

MIRACLE - Milan

"Very well produced, but seems more like dance music than pop per se. Vocals have a Daft Punk vibe. Excellent!" "This could easily be a massive club dance floor hit!"
Highest chart position: 21

IF I COULDN'T SEE YOU TONIGHT - Scott Kinghorn (ft Grant Denman)

"Great work on the soaring vocals, recalling teenage angst. Love the synth sounds too." "This track has lots of potential. Could be a huge hit!"
Highest chart position: 8

ONLY 17 - Dawn Sinclair and Boyana (ft Sabrina)

"Wow! Beyoncé would be proud of those vocals. Very similar sound, yet distinctive. Extremely well produced and professional." "The combination of lyrics, music and vocals from these three ladies is a dynamite mix. Ear candy!"

TO THE SKY... - Angel of Dawn wt Just Kallen

"Lush soundscape. Very interesting track which draws you in." "Uplifting and dreamlike, almost hypnotic love song."
Highest chart position: 2

AGAIN AND AGAIN - James Oakwood

"Shades of Bob Marley, and also Stevie Wonder's 'Part Time Lover' in the opening vox riff. Effective off-beat timing and brass stabs make this an excellently produced ragga track." "While 'Knew it was True' contained reggae elements, this is more like a bona fide reggae track. Female vocals seem slightly out of place here and there, but otherwise a polished track''

CAN'T WAIT - Phil McC and A Tuesday Paradox

''This competition has brought forth musical representations of styles from every decade of the latter half of the 20th century up to today, and this effective Motown tribute is further proof of that.'' ''Foot-tapping, nostalgic groove. The songwriters clearly know and love this genre.''
Highest chart position: 3

THEY DON'T KNOW - Brainplant

''Although many modern pop songs incorporate dubstep elements, this seemed more to us like a dubstep track with pop elements... That said, excellent production over all.'' ''This track has an authentic pop chorus, like Justin Timberlake or (dare I say) Justin Bieber, but I kept waiting for verses that never came. If the song had verses, either sung or rapped, between the choruses to lift them up, this could have been a serious contender for the prize.''
Highest chart position: 18

ANGELS AND DEMONS - Scott Slater

''This song really builds to a beautiful crescendo. My only gripe is that the opening repetitive keyboard stabs take 20 seconds to change. If the track were played on radio, fickle listeners might change channel before giving it a chance.'' ''Very impressive vocal work here. The buildup from verses to chorus is perfect as is, so I feel the song could have had a shorter intro before the verse vocals begin. With a different intro this could be a huge hit''
Highest chart position: 4

SHOW ME THE STARS - Lightyear (ft Tina Fisher)

''A late entry, but another smashing track. Epic, anthemic dancefloor quality. Almost ABBAesque vocals. Top quality production.'' ''At 6 minutes long, it is twice the length of an average pop song. The word 'epic' comes to mind. I could imagine this remixed as a thumping club classic.''
Highest chart position: 23

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned

Darth Raver
Admin Group
Views: 1546
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2016, 16:48 PM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

And the winner is...
after a lot of careful and difficult deliberation....

Dawn Sinclair and Boyana ft Sabrina with ''Only 17''
Congratulations!

And the equally difficult to decide runner-up track was

Russell Arthur's ''Cuz U''
featuring his niece Shannon on vocals

Could the winners please send their postal addresses to darthravermp3u@gmail.com ASAP so we can send their prizes

Thank you again to all participants!
It was a superb competition with a very high standard of quality,
representing many individual styles, making it very difficult to judge.
In the end we chose the two tracks that we felt fit the original brief best.

Thank you for making this competition great!

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned
Old 03-02-2016, 21:28 PM
*** VIP ***

dawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nice

On behalf of Boyana and myself, thanks so much to the judges for giving Only 17 First Place....

I was both stunned by and thrilled with the result...the contest was a perfect fit for this song but all the entries were of high standard and I am unaccustomed to winning anything so I couldn't be happier.

Well done to everyone who entered....I had tons of fun listening to every single song in the contest!!!

ps...Boyana deserves the prize more than me so I will get her to send in her Danish address asap for the prize Darth

xxxx
Old 04-02-2016, 00:16 AM
milan

Well done Dawn, well deserved ... you are a star!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 AM
*** VIP ***

dawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nice

So are you James!! x
Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 AM
4moreinc

Congratulations to both. Two well deserved winning songs with great competition entries by all and to a very high standard, and big up to everyone involved throughout!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Final level of Guitar Hero

Blueslick is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on this fantastic song Dawn & co, a worthy winner and the right choice from my point of view. I have to say that I thought the variety and originality for all the competition entries was excellent; so all the more kudos to the winner for the incredibly high standard of the winning song.

Phil
Old 07-02-2016, 12:53 PM
*** VIP ***

How kind..thank you so much!
Old 07-02-2016, 20:18 PM
Timberland's tape op

DSSMusic has a spectacular aura aboutDSSMusic has a spectacular aura about

Big congratulations to Dawn and Boyana, the song is great and a worthy winner. You stuck to the brief and delivered the goods.

It was good fun listening to all the entries, they were all such a high standard and a thoroughly enjoyable listen. It must have been tough to judge.

Well done all those that entered.

Laura & Baz
Old 13-02-2016, 00:57 AM
*** VIP ***

Thanks Laura and Baz....generous words xx