Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Chat > General Chat

General Chat Talk about music, art, sport, whatever, this is the place for it

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 24-03-2018, 13:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
time to abandon Facebook?
tbwig tbwig is offline 24-03-2018, 13:35 PM

Cambridge Analytica....50 million FB accounts...data stolen...data mined for nefarious purposes...Nix and Zuckerberg machinations run amok...and more?

I have never participated in FB, and always wondered about any on-line participation and digital records enduring forever.

Still, I have chosen to participate on mp3u. Records of all my comments and participation in the chatbox, on threads, on individual artists pages, all exist and one could research a lot about each of us by sifting through the data if someone was curious or interested enough.

I guess the Cambridge Analytica scandal (thanks to the whistle-blower, Wylie and the Channel 4 report) has brought thoughts of all of our line presence and data vulnerability to the fore. What is an appropriate level of response to all the news about Facebook...and by extension...all out on-line searches...sites we visit through intent or by chance....what does that all mean about us and what can be learned about us...without our consent? Does any of this exploration concern us on mp3u and have relevance to what we do and say on this site? Or how mp3u protects (or not) our data - our music and the trail of our thoughts as we willingly participate. Crumbs to be gathered by whom?

I do find myself yearning for a simpler, less data-driven life, but I'm a tad reluctant to abandon the on-line community of mp3u. Connections to a world-wide community of musicians is an addictive candy.

Anyone else feeling a little apprehensive these days? How is our privacy protected by mp3unsigned? Is this just a passing, nagging suspicion that all is not well in the digital world?

T

tbwig
Hip hop hummer limo driver
Views: 507
Sponsored Links
Old 24-03-2018, 18:10 PM
RonD

No more aprehensive than beforethis scandal happened. A while back data protection law was brought in in the UK. What it effectively does is stop the NHS, Teachers and police etc from easily accessing your data - even though they need to be able to and doing absolutely ***k all to prevent unscrupulous gits from accessing your data. the very people it should be stopping. That's because these sort of people don't abide by any bloody rules in the first place. Don't fool yourself - on line or off line - never used FB etc... your data will be accessed by shitty moneygrabbers. How many of you have a mobile phone that doesn't get accessed by cold callers - even though (as far as you know) you never gave your details out to anyone?
(signed...Mr Angry of Grindemdown Mansion)
Old 24-03-2018, 20:30 PM
High school drummer

ericsaitz has a spectacular aura aboutericsaitz has a spectacular aura aboutericsaitz has a spectacular aura about

Last edited by ericsaitz; 25-03-2018 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Who me?
Old 24-03-2018, 23:36 PM

*** VIP ***

Ffabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud of

Ok.....

This is a weighty subject, and there's quite a few angles here, and actually something of a dichotomy. Two opposing viewpoints are going to be needed, which cancel each other out, yet are both valid.

Firstly Cambridge Analytica.

I became aware of this nefarious organisation last year. There's a complicated spider web of links and connections to various powerful groups and individuals - most on the right of the political spectrum. Our own Brexit referendum was one of the first big opportunities for Cambridge Analytica, along with Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage to really test out some of their theories and ideas.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...cked-democracy

It's all there, dirty Saudi money, laundered through the DUP, demographic profiling, and ultimately a success for the Brexit campaign, and a nightmare for those UK citizens who care about democracy. Brexit is the equivalent of xenophobic mass hysteria and national suicide.

And it turns out that all this was simply a kind of dry run for the real shot - getting Donald Trump in the White House. God alone knows how many other nations have been tampered with.

And now the links to Cambridge Analytica and our own Conservative government become apparent. These people are all complicit.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2018/03/...ca-pmqs-today/

Thanks to the recent Investigatory Powers Act 2016, aka 'The Snoopers' Charter', Britain now has one of the most sweeping, widespread and intrusive mass surveillance systems in the developed world. The bill, which was put quietly through parliament without fanfare. Few people are even aware of it. It was given virtually no media coverage, and simply was not reported in the press.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invest...owers_Act_2016

Basically, police, government bodies, health trusts, councils, and even welfare offices have the power to intercept, read, save, and store every single electronic communication made by British citizens without oversight and without the need for judicial warrants. They can tap phones, read SMS messages, read emails, track and log every website visited by UK citizens, and log every link clicked on the internet, track and record GPS positional information, and log all bank account transactions for anyone they wish, with total impunity - and that's just for starters.

The fact that the vast bulk of UK residents have no knowledge of this bill is absolutely chilling to the bone. I've made several attempts to tell people about this bill - co workers etc. Most simply shrug and repeat variations of "if I've nothing to hide, why should I worry?" tropes.

It's perhaps understandable - given how many of us now share most of the details of our lives openly on Facebook....

Facebook. It's original prototype inception, by neocon venture capitalist Peter Thiel was basically a plan to get millions of people to willingly provide personal details, views, likes, dislikes, activities etc. for the purposes of targeted saturation advertising and demographic profiling.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...an/14/facebook

Facebook's moved beyond that somewhat, and it's current implementation might be said to be rather more benign. Thiel sold all his shares, and it's archetect Zuckerberg is now the acceptable public face. People are still willingly sharing all their lives though, and we now know that those details are indeed being used for all kinds of abominable purposes.

But at the same time, Facebook is also a platform that allows alternative ideas, not typically aired or presented within mainstream media to be heard. It cannot be controlled by the powerful media barons such as Rupert Murdoch, and it has great power to be used for good - to spread truth, and shatter the disinformation and propaganda put out by mainstream media.

The younger generations tend to use social media for much, if not all of their news, and to discover the world.

The 2017 UK election was unique in modern history. It saw the entirely of Britain divided roughly down the middle, by age. People aged 50+ voted Conservative in droves, as always. Those aged 18-40+ voted Labour - it was literally half and half. The result was an almost-hung parliament with the Conservatives losing their majority, and only able to form a government with the help of the Irish D.U.P and a billion pound bung to bribe them into forming the coalition (the same people who they used for money laundering purposes for Cambridge Analytica cash during the Brexit referendum).

The reasons for this result was that the younger generation shun mainstream media. They do not read the scuzzy, spurious tabloid newspapers that dominate the UK press, all of which pump out the message 'vote Conservative' and demonise the opposition. These newspapers ran absolutely insane and hysterical editorials during the election claiming that the Labour Party leader was a terrorist supporter, with jihadist links, but providing no evidence to back up such mad claims. Their readers tend to be older people. The BBC acted as little more than a Conservative Party mouthpiece. It's since been revealed that they actually planted Conservative MPs and stakeholders in the audience during debate shows, who were allowed to ask loaded questions, and allowed to speak uninterrupted, whereas any Labour supporters were typically interrupted and cut short - and then their comments ridiculed by the panelists. UK media is among the most biased in the developed world.

But the younger generations so not consume such media, they use social media instead. During the election, the political website with the biggest number of views, almost doubling that of mainstream media websites was an independent left wing economics blog on Facebook called Another Angry Voice. This guy, and many others worked tirelessly to engage younger people, and get them to vote, while constantly working to expose mainstream media lies and misinformation.

For this reason, and this reason alone - the mainstream media has a HUGE problem with Facebook. It is independent of them, and cannot be controlled. They'd love to see Facebook's plug pulled once and for all.

I have two Facebook accounts, and neither of them is in my own name. They are all fake names with fake details. One is my artist page, which is attached to an account under the name of Robert Grey. The other is basically just a spam filter with another false name. This way, Facebook cannot collate any of my details, and cannot profile me.

Quite a lot to get through there, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Old 25-03-2018, 05:24 AM
High school drummer

ericsaitz has a spectacular aura aboutericsaitz has a spectacular aura aboutericsaitz has a spectacular aura about

I think it's best I just stick to music
Peace
Eric

Last edited by ericsaitz; 25-03-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Old 26-03-2018, 00:11 AM
Hip hop hummer limo driver

tbwig is on a distinguished road

enjoyed the detailed response, Ffabbia....lots to wonder about.
Old 26-03-2018, 15:05 PM

*** VIP ***

Ffabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud of

The real question is, how successful was the demographic profiling used by Cambridge Analytica to boost Trump et al?

If there had been no Cambridge Analytica tampering, would he still have been elected? Is demographic profiling really that effective? Can it really influence voting patterns to that extent? Or are we allowing ourselves to fall for a moral panic, wrapped up in a promotional stunt?

The alternative would obviously be that Cambridge Analytica are making much of their previous 'successes', and turning a series of events that (in reality) just happened to fortuitously coincide with their activities into a huge publicity mechanism.