Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Chat > General Chat

General Chat Talk about music, art, sport, whatever, this is the place for it

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-05-2018, 19:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tascam DP-03SD
Slippy-T Slippy-T is offline 02-05-2018, 19:18 PM

Ello all... its about time I reared me head again in this hallowed portal.. I've not been able to sort out the urge to make recorded music for a while so I've saved up my hard earned spendies and now have a nice shiny new machine on which to crack on... the aforesaid mentioned Tascam DP-03SD. I spent a lot of time researching exactly what I wanted for making music and eventually narrowed it down to this wee beastie.

I've not had a chance to play to much as it only arrived this afternoon... so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do. I'll keep you posted and hopefully put the fruits of my labour up online soon...

Hope everyone is well and keeping creative

Catch you soon

Slippy-T
Simon Cowell's PA
Views: 278
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 02:58 AM
Streetcorner breakdancer

ericsaitz has a spectacular aura aboutericsaitz has a spectacular aura aboutericsaitz has a spectacular aura about

Please do! I know how exciting it is to have new gear and the joy that comes from creating music again... After the learning curve is over Can't wait to hear new material from you
Peace
Eric

Tinsel Town Crimes
Old 14-05-2018, 18:05 PM
Simon Cowell's PA

Slippy-T is on a distinguished road

Ello again... Thanks for the look in Eric. Ok After getting me mits on the new recording equip I got it setup and the result is a track called DFBR.

The song is in no way polished and has some rough edges but it holds its own type of musical beauty to me as its my first stab (for a long while) at recording just me playing and singing (apart from the drum machine).

To get to it click on the image.

Cooooo its good to be back.
Old 01-06-2018, 14:45 PM

*** VIP ***

Ffabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud of

Interesting choice Rob. Seems you've gone down the hardware route, and are mixing tracks using physical channels, rather than using a DAWs. Hope you've got the manual handy, because that beast looks complicated

I tried out a Wharfdale USB mixing desk a couple of months ago, with a view to doing some kind of dual mic recording, but unfortunately the damned thing proved to be rubbish, the live monitor was extremely hissy and sounded awful, and no amount of tinkering could resolve it. Judging from online comments this is pretty-much a known problem with some USB mixers.

I ended up taking it back and swapping it for a new condenser mic, which is also a bit of a learning curve. Never used one before and it's all about getting the 'sweet spot' between your mouth and the mic, else the recording is tinny lacks all warmth. Using my old dynamic mic was just a case of plugging it in, and standing a few inches away from it; this is very different.

Also added a new Epiphone Les Paul guitar to my collection last year (yeah I'm still on a tight budget, spending thousands or even hundreds on guitars isn't really an option) along with a fairy inexpensive nylon acoustic guitar, an Asus Perc Pad, which finally lets me record 'live' midi drums. Also starting to get quite a nice little collection of oddball percussive and ethnic instruments that I've been using a lot lately - bongos, tablas, various shakers. I even have a mini glockenspiel.

Old 02-06-2018, 17:49 PM
Hip hop hummer limo driver

tbwig is on a distinguished road

good to read of all the choices and analysis as to what gear (stand alone hardware vs DAW and computers) and instruments work for each musician. From Rob's Tascam to Ffabbia's Wharfdale woes, it is interesting to learn what others are experimenting with and how they use equipment in their recordings.

Enjoyed reading all these comments
Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Simon Cowell's PA

Slippy-T is on a distinguished road

Hi Gary, Terry... love any discussion between software hardware mediums for music. Just to add the musical fray I've added a ALESIS SR18 to the mix.. Got some nice sounds to hack about with. To get back to the hardware discussion.. the TASCAM will be for hammering out ideas before committing to proper production. Its a nice little 'on the go' recorder so can be useful for a variety of uses. On further purchases only one remains and I'm doing a lot of research before committing.. this will be a desktop purely for music.
So I'm currently taking advice from a quite a number of areas in this respect.

Glad to see all you guys around.

Rob