Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Chat > General Chat

General Chat Talk about music, art, sport, whatever, this is the place for it

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-06-2018, 00:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pink Clouds...Pink Noise
tbwig tbwig is offline 07-06-2018, 00:13 AM

I have been reading a bit into balancing the EQ of tracks and found a few notes about using "pink noise" (not white) as a reference track, working on all the individual tracks to that reference. I have yet to experiment with this approach. Is it worthwhile for all the effort, especially if it is just a few of us home recording types with assorted levels of computers and DAW's? Much ado about nothing, or something to read more about and try? In the end, I think most of the comments I've read indicate that it is another starting point, but in the end, it is a matter of using your own ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWgVtPZti4

tbwig
Hip hop hummer limo driver
Views: 245
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2018, 00:45 AM

Village Idiot

KtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud of
Talking

Maybe good to get basic mix levels,as a starter,but if a track has lots of dynamic changes it's kinda useless. Much better to use your ears,in my opinion.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:22 AM

tbwig is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that observation, Mart. Sort of what I was being led to conclude from all the videos and reading of threads and forums on this topic. Still, I took a d/l of a pink noise loop to try to experiment with. Have you bothered, yourself? Getting on, with Mark Ellis, and not fully trusting my ears, I am starting to lean in the direction of visual support for some frequency areas. Ever use Voxengo's Span? I downloaded that to see if it will help any.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:49 AM

Village Idiot

KtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud of

Yes I always have Span on the master channel along side a TT Dynamic Range Meter. Also a parametric EQ on every channel. I think visual aids are helpful for cutting out unnecessary frequencies. You may not be able to hear them,but with these visual tools,you can see them. Helps to give more headroom.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM

*** VIP ***

Ffabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud of

Using pink noise for balancing is a new one to me. Until I read your post I'd never heard of such a thing.

I may be sounding somewhat ignorant here, but by 'tracks' do we mean individual channels within a multi-track, bass, guitar, snare, trombone etc?

Or are we talking about 'tracks' in the form of actual completed songs that we now wish to EQ alongside corresponding songs on an album?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:40 AM

tbwig is on a distinguished road

Hi Ffabbia..."tracks" = channels in this case...using the pink noise sample and leveling each channel in comparison to the pink noise by playing one track at a time against the pink noise, lowering the level until it is just audible through the pink stuff . Apparently, this approach gets you to a starting point (or neutral, uncoloured sound), and from there your own ears, or style or genre influences the way you might mix the final multi-channel outout. Er...at least that is what I have come to understand so far
Old 07-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

Yeah its very basic and very limited too. I'd always say just use your ears but there are some cool tools that can help. I use izotope neuron, its got some great features. One I find I use pretty much on every channel is the mask feature, It allows you to mask each channel against another, so you can see where frequencies clash. Great for drum tracks against bass tracks, but good on anything from guitars against vocals, it shows you where the track is competing. Again tho, I always go with my ears, I just like to check that nothing is compromising but you can't beat using your ears

Old 07-06-2018, 14:48 PM

Village Idiot

Talking

I love Neuron...but my laptop hates it It just can't cope with more than a couple of instances.
Definitely time to take the plunge and buy a new machine.

Old 07-06-2018, 17:01 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

Never noticed that myself but I do run a higher spec laptop.
I keep saying i'm gonna upgrade but I keep putting it off. I want a new guitar too but the wife keeps booking holidays

Old 07-06-2018, 17:20 PM

Village Idiot

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunktional-DJs View Post
Never noticed that myself but I do run a higher spec laptop.
I'm using an old ex-classroom laptop at the moment. Low specs. My other laptop didn't want to play with me any more, so it dropped the ball and wandered off.