Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Chat > General Chat

General Chat Talk about music, art, sport, whatever, this is the place for it

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 20-10-2018, 00:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
MP3 Unsigned Off line
The Fondue Brothers The Fondue Brothers is offline 20-10-2018, 00:04 AM

I'm glad MP3 Unsigned is back on line after the recent outage. It would be a great loss if the site were to close. Unlike other music sites, MP3 Unsigned has an active and supportive community. It's nice to know that there are other lonely bedroom musicians/producers out there and it's good to get feedback and advice.

The Fondue Brothers
Gazoo guru
Views: 1024
Sponsored Links
Old 20-10-2018, 13:57 PM
Learning to play recorder

Prospero is on a distinguished road

Amen to all of that. But..........a significant weakness is inherent in that. The site tends to be very inward-focussed. Thereís a cabal of about a dozen regulars that comment on each otherís music - which is great, donít get me wrong - but there doesnít seem to be much ďoutreachĒ to try and promote or publicise good stuff. I wonder if less insularity would strengthen the siteís general health/offer as a platform? Make it more attractive to new blood - which I feel is desperately needed for the good of the site. I donít expect agreement to any of that - itís just an observation from someone whoís erratic orbit periodically brings him into contact with the inner circle...
Old 20-10-2018, 22:09 PM

Village Idiot

KtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud of
Talking

I've seen a few new young artists upload here. But they don't seem to hang around for long. There are too many better alternatives out there for a young hungry artist. It's the older new members,who do it for love over money,that tend to stick around a bit longer.
That's a problem.
It's become an old boy's club now. It's also lost it's edge and become a little twee.
That's definitely a problem.
Sharing your artist page on Facebook and other social media platforms is pointless as a lot of devices can't even play the tracks without having to download.
I understand that just keeping this site afloat is costing somebody money. Not sure who,but it's very much appreciated. But I think this format has had it's day now.

Old 20-10-2018, 22:53 PM

Agree with all of that except for the format having had its day. I think this site as it currently is might have rather than the format as such. Consider that the same two people have been the featured artists for at least the last six months and one of the banners features a competition winner from three or four years ago (the bubblegum one). It's fair to say that signifies a certain lack of energy. Moribund is perhaps the word....

Of course, it's all very well for me to carp. If I'm not prepared to take on some kind of leadership role I accept I should shut the f*ck up In the end I suppose it's down to what the majority of the membership wants. If they're happy for it to be the Sunshine Home for the Musically Distressed well that's fine. Those who want something a bit more edgy can move on.....

See.....I'd actually change the name to The Sunshine Home for the Musically Distressed. I'd not be surprised if something quirky like that would generate some outside interest. I'd also not be surprised if no-one gave a rat's *rse
Old 20-10-2018, 23:41 PM

Village Idiot

KtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud of
Talking

The site has been left to stagnate,for sure. I don't know why someone can't just log in and remove old banners,unless there's a tech issue.
This site feels like a pair of comfortable old shoes now. Men's comfortable old shoes to be honest
Saying those who want something a bit more edgy can move on, kinda proves my point
As for the format,I do think it's outdated. There should be more built in interactivity between the artist pages and other platforms. It's quite an insular format as it stands.

Old 21-10-2018, 00:04 AM
Gazoo guru

The Fondue Brothers is on a distinguished road

Agree with all the above. But I'm afraid I fall into the "Sunshine Home for the Musically Distressed"/ "Old boys network" camp. As I said I like the Community aspect that other sites lack. New contributors are always welcome, whether they stick around or not is up to them. Mp3 Unsigned is a quiet backwater but I feel at home here. I only wish our administrator would mow the lawn occasionally. Now where's my cocoa.
Old 21-10-2018, 00:18 AM

Village Idiot

Talking

I like the community aspect of the site too. That's why I still keep coming back. But the community has almost gone now. It was a lot more vibrant and varied when I first joined. It's sad to see it like this.
In order for a site to survive,though, it needs members. Lots of members,preferably.
A quiet cosy little backwater is not going to be very appealing to an outsider. Especially young 'ens.

Old 22-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Frankly, in order to survive the site also needs to up its game in terms of the quality of music that gets posted. Part of the problem with the ďsupportĒ element of the site is that everyone tends to tell everyone how utterly fabulous their music is. Most of it is very far from that. I include my own efforts in that criticism too. Iíve recorded a lot of music over the years. About five tracks are any good, the rest is crap.

So......unless thereís more honesty, constructive criticism and restraint in terms of posting every musical f*rt that you (me, everyone) makes things will stay as they are. The amount of bullsh*t generated on this site is industrial in quantity

Maybe people just arenít interested in attracting an external audience. Maybe they want to live in a cosy little fantasy world of their own making....I certainly donít. Itís artistically worthless and self-deceiving. That will, Iíve absolutely no doubt, be a very unpopular standpoint. I donít care. Truth can be uncomfortable and I think it needs saying for the good of the site.
Old 22-10-2018, 14:44 PM
Gazoo guru

The Fondue Brothers is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have to reluctantly agree with your post. Often the standard of tunes and songs isn't up to much. The "unsigned" bit suggests it's a platform for amateur musicians and songwriters, although that shouldn't always mean second best. I'm fully aware of the millions of wanabees out there hungry for fame. I'm not one of them but If one or two people give me feedback on a tune, I get some satisfaction that I'm not wasting my time.
If I don't like a song that someone's posted, I just ignore it. Maybe as you say, we should be a little more honest.
Have you seen the film "Whiplash"? It forcefully makes the case for the importance of criticism.
Old 22-10-2018, 15:00 PM
Pub band singer

DJC is on a distinguished road

Your criticisms have been aired many times before by others here in this forum David. I don't recall ever seeing anyone disagree with that standpoint, but members here don't have any power, and owners haven't interacted much with the site over the years to tune it, let alone fine tune it.

I guess it is within our power to post crap or not, spout bullshit or not...I exercise both frequently, usually with a wink Not much else to do here. 90% of my comments are on musicians who participate here for the simple reason I'm likely to get a listen in return and occasionally I've got something up I'm wanting to be heard and I look for constructive crit, praise or a laugh. Much of that could be shoved off to a second page, leaving the front page open to the best of what this site has to offer.

As of now, there's not much about the site to promote, even if a good tune pops up it's difficult to share it, none of my friends and family I send links to are able to access the site without getting badgered to spend more money on a flashplayer upgrade for their pc's, or stymied on their smartphones. I'm only able to play music here by a "backdoor" only available to members...how do you convince someone to jump through those kind of hoops?