Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Artists > The Mixing Desk

The Mixing Desk Get advice, criticism and feedback on your mixes and works in progress (WIP's).

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 17-05-2010, 17:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Vertigo Spin
Later Dudes Later Dudes is offline 17-05-2010, 17:31 PM

***IMPORTANT NEWS:***
Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions.. However, after much thought, I have decided to pull away from MP3 Unsigned.com. I'll still post some of my music online, but I will be keeping it down to about three websites. I very much appreciate everyone that helped me along my way, and I hope the best to you all in your music journey..

Anywho, new update.. Well, actually.. Not an uploaded update. I am torn between keeping what I have and a new variant version.. I like the energy of the one I have, but I also like the quirkiness of the new one with a slightly slowed tempo and different key. I don't know what I'll do yet.. Maybe I'll do both..

*While I'm thinking about this, does anyone here have suggestions on compression in FL Studio 8? I asked this question to someone (I won't say who) and was answered with "go by your ears".. If only it were that simple.. I need to know what the technical side of things are first before I "go by my ears".. Like, what is "Ahead" for, or "Curve", or "Threshold", ect.? I have no idea what those knobs do or how it changes the sound. I pull them max one way, then max the other and I don't see any change.. I tried YouTube, but I'm no good at finding what I need when I run a search.. Any help would be appreciated..

**Vertigo Spin no longer available**

NEXT UPDATE INFORMATION: OK.. I took a break and re-listened to it again.. I DON'T LIKE WHAT I'M HEARING... Now that I got that out of my system.. I'm re-doing all compression, stripping it down, re-EQing it, and just "goin' to town' again.. I'll have an update soon..

**LAST UPDATE: Completely re-did compression.. Lowered all individual sounds' volume to just below maximum level, instead of way over maximum.. Added more lows and dropped some highs in the kick.. Open hat still clashes with something.. I changed that too and the closed hat, but I still get some distortion and "mud".. --Bass needs to be tightened in the sidechain. Next update will have the change-- IMPORTANT: I need Suggestions! **

Last edited by Later Dudes; 01-07-2010 at 23:50 PM.. Reason: Important News About DM...

Later Dudes
Rock band roadie
Views: 631
Sponsored Links
Old 17-05-2010, 17:49 PM

Village Idiot

KtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud of

Left some (not too helpfull) words

Old 20-05-2010, 04:27 AM
*** VIP ***

Steven Silverthorn is a jewel in the roughSteven Silverthorn is a jewel in the roughSteven Silverthorn is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Compression

Compression is a tricky beast for sure. I always think of it like an hypodermic syringe. The analogy for Threshold, Ratio and Attack is failry obvious - The higher the Threshold, the less liquid is in the syringe, but you have to think of it in terms of sounds - some which are affected and unaffected. As soon as the Threshold level is reached, the Compressor turns down the volume in direct proprotion to the ratio level. The Attack is how quickly the Compressor switches on after the Threshold level is hit - and the Release, is obviously how soon it switches off -

The Syringe analogy is most useful when you think of Gain - because the sound is squeezed , when a boost is applied it shoots the sound out with more energy. Just like when liquid is compressed through the needle. This happens continuously.

One great Tutorial for Compression is actually the Airbase one on YouTube - Back - cos although he doesn't explain Compression you can see his settings and how they work on the sounds. Even if you haven't a clue about the technicalities, you can learn sooo much.

Remember folks - as Francis Bacon once said - The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery. Hopefully this doesn't apply to my explanation!

Last edited by Steven Silverthorn; 20-05-2010 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Further astounding depths of perception
Old 20-05-2010, 16:12 PM
Rock band roadie

Later Dudes is on a distinguished road

That's basically how my dad tried to explain it to me.. For those who don't know, he deals with a lot of media and video.. What he uses compression for is totally different, but some of the same knobs in FL8 Compression is used in his line of work.. His explanation was similar to what you are stating, but your's gives me a better image, and turned on my "light bulb"..
Old 21-05-2010, 11:09 AM
*** VIP ***

GavV is on a distinguished road

If you want a short-cut on how to use compression in FL - load up that fruity compressor which has all the graphics, can't remember what its called. Put it on a track etc, get an input sound and play. Easiest way to get decent compression at this point is to lower the threshold until the graphical bar is sat on the highest peak as the sounds are playing. Let's say this is -9db, now the compressor knows where to start its work - then set a ratio of say 4:1 and start turning up the gain, this is basically going to compress the sounds above the threshold allowing you to get more dynamics in the same amount of sound-space (not a tech term ) the more you turn up the gain the more it will try and squeeze the sound out and the more it will sound dope (until it starts saturating.) If you also have a limiter set at say -0.2 db (or w/e for the sound) this will smooth out big peaks which can cause clipping.

Basically it's the gain that allows you to hear the effects of compression, so this is what you should adjust once you have the other parameters set up. I am not a pro so excuse any inacurracies, this is just my own experience after years of using compressors and sussing it out plus I rate that fruity comp, it is excellent due to all the graphical feedback but the net result isn't as accurate as pro compressors. Oh yeh I think it's called Fruity Limiter.

Hope that helps.
Old 22-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Rock band roadie

Thanks very much for the tips.. I will definitely try that out in the Multiband Compressor and Fruity Limiter.. There's a compressor in the Fruity Limiter which is where the more detailed graphics are.. I'll run some experiements there..

**UPDATE: OK, I've been experimenting with compression on a second version of this mix.. I'm rather satisfied with how the kicks and sounds are coming along.. My next work will be on this version of the mix.. I'll be compressing my sounds, so stay tuned for a new update! **
Old 25-05-2010, 05:35 AM
Rock band roadie

Compression..... I'm feeling BLAH about it..... lol.. Still workin' on it.. I'll post up some sort of an update soon (I hope)... Bare with me here..
Old 28-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Rock band roadie

VERTIGO SPIN & ALL MUSIC PROJECTS ON HOLD FOR THE MOMENT. (Via news article in Signature)..
Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Rock band roadie

Well, I was going to post an update.. But I re-listened to it and decided it sucked worse than the original update.. I tried to compress my sounds, but I believe I just tore it apart even more... I did like one thing I changed though.. I sidechained the bass so it wouldn't clash with the kick. But that's the only positive thing that came out of the update.. I didn't even feel like uploading it because of how bad it is.. I'll have to start all over with the compression.. I'm really sucking at this one......
Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 AM

VST HUNTER

FXMAN is on a distinguished road

send me the file il try to save your work .. dont get disheartend