Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Artists > The Mixing Desk

The Mixing Desk Get advice, criticism and feedback on your mixes and works in progress (WIP's).

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 16-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Goldington Green
The Tje The Tje is offline 16-10-2010, 02:41 AM

We all have our strong points and our weak points. The contrast between the two versions of this track on my page hopefully show me trying to do something about the latter.

As a chaotic creature I often do not have the time and dedication to achieve what I'd like to. I am sure all of you have these moments. I would welcome some thoughts on this music. Many thanks to Ricky(MD-1) for a few well aimed kicks up the behind with this one .

I wanted to get saxaphone on this but my wood wind section at home doesn't want to put the flute down so I struggle. I have used my Ibanez for the electric parts on this and the 12 string for the main parts. The drums - well my arms hurt as usual but thanks to Matt for helping here. Becka and Katie gave some techie help I am happy to take ideas and suggestions as usual.

Goldington Green is grassed area on the A428 out of Bedford and like me it has great potential and occaisionally gets put to good use - but not often!
It hosts an play area football it's on the way to Mr Tesco and the local Cricket Club and is really good for lying on your back staring up at cotton wool clouds in pretty blue skies.
thank you
- jon

The Tje
*** VIP ***
Views: 645
Sponsored Links
Old 16-10-2010, 14:36 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

must kick harder...or change to my steal toe boots

the only thing in time is the drum machine.

it's like having 3 or maybe even 4 different songs all playing @ the same time.

but none start @ the same time LOL

I remember this from a wile back....I think I said it sounded like someone shaking a rusty tin full of nails

you fixed the drum track...but nothing follows the drums

Old 16-10-2010, 15:09 PM
*** VIP ***

geiger167 has a spectacular aura aboutgeiger167 has a spectacular aura about

It's difficult to get past the whole thing being totally out of time, sounds like you have removed the drum track, and tried to fix the track with a new take on the drums, which of course is never gonna work as the track is out of time Better to start fresh, use a click track of some kind, and begin with a solid rhythm section, rather than try to fix after the fact. I'm being totally frank here, my timing sucks, I never record anything without some kind of click track, drum track, I'm not a metronome, I drift badly out of time. Unless you're playing in a band, and playing off each other, how are you going to get good timing. Obviously some people have it, drummers for example, robots lol, clocks lol, but not most of us Just make life easier for yourself and use a click track, your timing will sound tighter and your songs will sound better Or record a simple drum track and use that as a click track, you can always remove it for better drums later
Old 19-10-2010, 22:07 PM
*** VIP ***

The Tje is on a distinguished road

Doh, thanks guys - I did get all the chaps to play the bits again - starting from scratch - I guess it's just me - I did use a timing thingy - repeating closed high hat at 186bpm - I suppose because all the guitars are played in one hit there are some timing abberations I have had to adjust track times as a whole individually I suppose to get it completely right would mean being a techie head and adjust the timings of each track part - latency does seem to vary for each track when it is being recorded - what does that fish on nemo keep saying "just keep going!" I'll try again ( what was that fish called???)

- jon
Old 19-10-2010, 23:33 PM
*** VIP ***

OK spun it again how did I do??? ( keepin my head down at this point - happy birthday chris BTW )

- jon
Old 20-10-2010, 15:13 PM
*** VIP ***

geiger167 has a spectacular aura aboutgeiger167 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds exactly the same to me lol, but I still like the tune, isn't that the important thing at the end of the day
Old 20-10-2010, 15:31 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

To be brutally honest Jon...if you can't hear the timing issues...there is nothing I can say to help you.

Old 20-10-2010, 21:56 PM

Analogue Abuser

Dave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant future

I've just listened to three songs and they all have the same erratic pattern of shifting in and out of time. I rather like it
Old 20-10-2010, 23:30 PM
*** VIP ***

Thanks for being patient The timing within each track changes slightly - the drum tracks are fairly precise combination of appropriate playing and easy to make corrections so it IS in time - It is possible that in doing this the live tracks are sometimes loosing it here and there. If the latency issues were constant it would be easy to inroduce a correcting factor. Hmm I'll have to do some maths and see if it is genuinely eccentric or if the variance is in some way constant - reminds me of heart rhythms - ireggularly irregular or regularly irregular? I promise I wont post again until I think I have made progress
-jon
Old 20-10-2010, 23:32 PM

Site Coder, Axe Shredder and Banner of Spamming Idiots

Superhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to behold

At first the timing sounded very strange but there is a method to it. It sounds like 3/4 time played along with 4/4 time so every 12 bars it gets resolved and knocked back in time. That's something you tend to hear more in jazz and band played stuff than electronic. The lead guitar parts seem to be in time with the beats, its the plucked clean sounding one that is causes the listener to have a double take. Some nice effected guitar parts with harmonized feedback. Some of those unusual counterpoint timing sections work better than others, having it straight though from start to finish is a little distracting. If the clean guitar played on the beat for a riff and mixed to the other style it might work better IMO. One other thing that could be making the timing sound more out is the bounce back echo which makes it sound like an 1/8 of a note out from the reflection. I listened to The Visitation and this unusual style works better because there are some more straight forward riffs mixed in. Interesting stuff though, quite a unique sound on that one.
Superhuman = Developing mp3unsigned.com
Darth Raver = Forum Administrator

Any questions?.... ask Darth Raver!