Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Artists > The Mixing Desk

The Mixing Desk Get advice, criticism and feedback on your mixes and works in progress (WIP's).

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-06-2015, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
When Mixing What do You Use ...
DeggsyMusic DeggsyMusic is offline 12-06-2015, 01:26 AM

If Anything...... !! On your Sub Bus or Master Channel Before , Bouncing or Saving your Final Mix , Before Mastering , Some of you may do the Final Mix all in the One Session. I Usual Master afterwards ? What about you ?

I Suppose it all depends on the Genre

Hardware :

Software :

Just Curious what you guys Use ,and What DAW You Guys Use , There is Plenty of Choice these Days...................

Degs

DeggsyMusic
Rock band roadie
Views: 270
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 23:12 PM
look up

Lodato has a spectacular aura aboutLodato has a spectacular aura aboutLodato has a spectacular aura about
Default Daw?

Hi Deggs,
I don't use a daw. i use a analogue console. I track through that and mix through that and master through that as well. I have a lot of outboard gear that I use for each task as well. Preamps are the most important part of the sound as it's the heart of everything while tracking. Then mixing I rely on good compressors and EQ's as well FX. After my mix is done. I listen through my studio monitors to make proper adjustments as headphone tend to make a bad mix sound good so it's very important to have a couple of references such as a car stereo as a second reference and a home stereo as a third. It the best way to make sure your mix holds up under many different devices for playback. Then if all sounds good, I'll master the track using a good stereo compressor and EQ.
I personally like TC Electronic Finalizer. The main thing is not to over compress to make a mix louder as that will squash all the dynamics out of final mix. If you want louder, turn up the volume...lol. my two cents.

be well
-rich
Old 13-06-2015, 00:35 AM
Pub band singer

DJC is on a distinguished road

I keep it simple, I've got an old Zoom digital eight mixer that I've been using for at least a dozen years. It's loaded with pre-set patches for individual tracks and mastering options; perfect for a lazy man like me! At least one other artist here uses similar equipment, I've often heard Deon's work and wondered why I can't get similar results. ha ha...talent, or lack of it does make a difference!
Old 15-06-2015, 12:32 PM

Rock band roadie

DeggsyMusic is on a distinguished road
Default Rich :)

Thanks Rich , Analogue Console , Cool stuff I would love to have a Studio with Loads of Hardware to tweak and play around with Lol Sounds like a cool System you have , Yeah I hear you about over Compression . I tend to over Compress not good , I always try to get the Best Sound i can with my Tracks , and sometimes i have them to Hot , and end up going back to get it to a Decent Level lol , I'm still in the Learning Stages . Also as you Mention , about Mixing through headphone , i have a Small Bedroom in the Bungalow , and Miserable Neighbors , so Only Option for me , but i do listen through my small Monitors for the final Mix ....

Thanks for you Reply

Degs
Old 15-06-2015, 12:39 PM

Rock band roadie

Default DJC :)

Hi Dave , Yeah!! Deon has the Zoom , Sounds like a good System , Hey you make great music with it , Sound Great to me .. PC all the way for me ,But would love to get some decent hardware and learn to play the Guitar Better too lol

Thanks Dave

Degs
Old 15-06-2015, 14:10 PM

*** GIT ***

James Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the rough

Degs, I mix in cubase with a couple of effects on the master channel that kind of make the mix sound like it is mastered. Then I render down (without the fx on the master channel) and open it in wavelab for proper mastering. EQ, stereo width, multiband compression, a little distortion are thrown in then a final single-band compression just to nobble any excessively high peaks then convert to mp3.
Old 15-06-2015, 17:14 PM

Rock band roadie

Default Andy :)

Yeah , I get ya Cool Ive tried a few Different ideas /Ways and i find a little EQ and Compression and Maybe a Limiter to Catch any Peaks , Especially the Drums before i Print the Master Channel , then will Do my Mastering Afterwards Most of the Time .. Cheers

I'm just Interested to see how other Artists work , When there happy with the Mix and How they Finish the Track to Upload here etc. and what they use ...

Thanks Andy

Degs
Old 25-08-2015, 15:24 PM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

That's more like it! This post makes sense, even if irrelevant to the question "what hardware/software do you used when mixing?"

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned