Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Music Creation > Music Help

Music Help Need a hand with something or offering assistance? Post here

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 20-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Volume Survey (RMS, loudness), how much?
Ron Solo 20-11-2017, 01:13 AM

It seems my songs are low volume or many others are just too high/loud. What is your volume you edit/mix to? Myself, at the time of this writing, have been editing to the -17 -18 RMS range.

I thought this was fine, many traditional blues are near this range, even softer. Though high 'low and mid' frequencies will read higher RMS values but not sound loud. It could be I'm not getting my lows and mids edited down enough?? Though, I do not want to lose too much dynamic range as well, as many seem to sacrifice this for higher volume.

Link to my M3U page: MP3 Unsigned - The Best MP3 s from New and Unsigned Artists

Ron Solo
Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Old 20-11-2017, 16:46 PM
Hip hop hummer limo driver

tbwig is on a distinguished road

The listener can always crank his/her own volume on their end, providing that your noise floor is not too loud - the background hiss when nothing is playing should be quiet enough not to infringe on the listener's experience. There is a loudness wars thread on the Forum that has some discussion points on this too. The issue has been a recurring theme. Some genres can tolerate clobbering the track (just short of clipping) more than others. You need a lot of dynamic range for your material, since you have only acoustic guitar and vocal (recorded simultaneously if I understand your method of recording correctly). Choose your own adventure, Ron. Perhaps just focus on what you are performing and your input levels of voice and guitar - don't worry about the output level. I don't find that I need to turn your tracks up myself. My only advice is to try changing things, one variable at a time, and listen to the results as you go. Find your Tascam Zen
Old 22-11-2017, 01:16 AM
Ron Solo

Yes, well put, thanks. And I know about the 'loudness war' or have read some on it.. Basically trade-offs.. you get things right and stop there in my opinion ..or you go for louder and lose your dynamics and original sound.
Old 26-11-2017, 22:28 PM

*** VIP ***

Ffabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud of

If you are talking about simply adjusting the volume of channels within your song, by manually cranking it up, rather than using various fancy studio tricks with compressors, then I think the easy answer is to load up a commercially-released song from a genre similar to your own, and base your own volume levels around those.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of loud mixes for the sake of it. The so-called 'volume wars' are doing more harm than good in my opinion. It's for the IPod generation - who expect to be able to hear their music through their headphones over the sound of traffic. Proper dynamic range is far more interesting, and far more versatile.

Old 28-11-2017, 01:45 AM
Ron Solo

great reply Ffabia, thanks.