Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Music Creation > Music Help

Music Help Need a hand with something or offering assistance? Post here

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 14-11-2017, 23:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
What is the recommended MP3 kbps for upload?
Ron Solo 14-11-2017, 23:06 PM

Based on the M3U player, does the player reformat user MP3 song uploads if they are not already a certain kbps?

It seems this is what usually happens.. so some sites recommend 128 kbps uploads for player compatibility (e.g., Soundclick and Reverbnation).

Otherwise there is sound quality loss when say a 320 kbps song is uploaded and it is reformatted to say 128 kbps for the player. Lossy formats do not reformat well of course, but WAV to Mp3 is no problem, making Bandcamp and Soundcloud advantages in this regard.

In my opinion this is a big issue which may explain the waning success of many of these types of sites throughout the years, which should be more of a popular thing in my opinion. Although editing short comes is another problem probably keeping the average would-be songster from wanting to share anything.

Thanks,

Audiophile, Ron Solo.

Ron Solo
Views: 372
Sponsored Links
Old 26-11-2017, 21:19 PM

*** VIP ***

Ffabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud ofFfabbia has much to be proud of

It always used to be 196 for optimum quality vs filesize

128 is OK, but you'll lose some tonal quality with that much compression, and some of the high mids and bottom ends won't sound quite so bright and punchy.

Having said that I don't think there's any restriction now on the kind of MP3 you upload - though, to my mind, going higher than 196 isn't going to make a huge difference, unless the equipment you use to record and produce with is absolutely state-of-the-art pro studio gear, capable of getting the absolute best from lossless audio. Audiophiles claim to hear huge differences between 196 kbps MP3 and 320 MP3, but they much have special ears - 'cos the differences sound marginal to me.

The kind of MP3 codec you use also makes a difference, Lame is still my personal favourite, and is superior (in my opinion) to Fraunhofer.

I don't know exactly what the MP3Unsigned flash-based audio player does. I've no idea of it actually reformats the audio.

All I know is that my own songs sound very different when uploaded to how they sound in their original wav, or MP3 format. The MP3Unsigned player seems to remove a lot of the bottom end, and cranks up the mids, so that the song sound generally a lot more 'tinny' and a bit flatter then the version sitting on my PC.

But whether this is due to reformatting, or some other reason is unknown. Perhaps others have the answer?

Old 07-01-2018, 01:19 AM
Ron Solo

Thanks Ffabia!
Old 06-04-2018, 03:36 AM
Ron Solo

I just listened to the same song of mine Fantastic Organisms here and at Reverbnation, both are the same 128k upload and RN sounds better. I've also noticed many users here upload 320k and it sounds very good in this site's player. So I'm guessing this site's player does not reformat/re-encode like RN (to 128k if not 128k) or if it does re-encode it may do so to a higher bit rate (???!) or maybe it doesn't (?). Mysteries of the Universe
Old 09-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Ron Solo

A note about 320k

This site's setup allows much better playback at 320 kbps, my initial concern was the playback quality! And of course the download quality, a bonus now --- Thanks MP3U!

Speculation: M3U does not have a player but a plugin that utilizes the end user's player/on that particular computer listened from, i.e., Window's Media Player.

However it works --- it works superior to other sites. And why this information is so inaccessible is a mystery to me --- but then again so much is dumbed down out there --- deliberately and or otherwise.
Old 25-04-2018, 01:55 AM
Ron Solo

Now I'm not sure about my last comments here...I'm seriously doubting 320k would be streamed. I wanted to delete the last two comments but can not see a way - disgusted with the mp3 sound uploaded and streamed, period.
Old 25-04-2018, 02:56 AM
Forum Moderator

Deadpool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Solo View Post
A note about 320k

This site's setup allows much better playback at 320 kbps, my initial concern was the playback quality! And of course the download quality, a bonus now --- Thanks MP3U!

Speculation: M3U does not have a player but a plugin that utilizes the end user's player/on that particular computer listened from, i.e., Window's Media Player.

However it works --- it works superior to other sites. And why this information is so inaccessible is a mystery to me --- but then again so much is dumbed down out there --- deliberately and or otherwise.

Users can't delete posts.

The part in red is correct. This site streams 320 or whatever the file that is uploaded. The quality of the files is a different story because so many on here are 320 but the recording quality is poor. Just because its 320 doesn't mean its a good recording. Hope this helps.
Old 27-04-2018, 03:40 AM
Ron Solo

Thanks - - - !