Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Start Here > News, Features, Tips & Tricks

News, Features, Tips & Tricks News on site updates plus tips and tricks for using the site and forum

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 19-05-2011, 17:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
How to hear MP3U tunes on iPhone
Snidcyco Snidcyco is offline 19-05-2011, 17:44 PM

Here's a tip for iPhone users.

When the site changed to the new format, I was a bit disappointed as an iPhone user that I could no longer listen to and review tunes on the go.*

With the previous site I could click on mp3u tunes, listen on headphones and review tracks on the train on the way to work.

But with the new site the player seems to be flash-based, which isn't supported by iPhone.

But I figured out a way around it!

Instead of clicking the play button, just click the 'download' button. You won't actually download it at all, but it will open in a new window with a 'play' button and voila! You can play and listen any time anywhere.

The idea occurred to me because I noticed that on websites with a link to download a PDF file, you can't download it to your phone, but it opens in a new window where you can read it.

So I wondered what might happen if you try to download an mp3u song, and discovered it works the same way! Of course, if the artist has made their song unavailable for download, then I guess we can't hear it on iPhone, but hey - c'est la vie.

Cool eh?

Recent tracks include... I forget... why not click the banner and see?

Snidcyco
High school drummer
Views: 2148
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Triangle in the school band

mikeeasley is on a distinguished road

Just got my iPhone. I'll apply this one. Thanks for this tip!
Old 05-02-2012, 16:29 PM

High school drummer

Snidcyco will become famous soon enough

Update: the above tip works for iPhone 3Gs, but apparently not for 4s...
Not reliably anyway. Once or twice I've been able to play a song, but 99% of the time pressing the download button has no effect at all...

Old 06-02-2012, 05:25 AM
* Pop Star *

Hydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura aboutHydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura about

Damn it, was hopin to try it with my 4S when it gets here...
Old 29-02-2012, 18:08 PM

Site Coder, Axe Shredder and Banner of Spamming Idiots

Superhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to behold

That's the flash issue with the Apple platform, load of nonsense from the Apple crowd IMO. Anyway, the next iteration of the player will get around that problem by streaming to mobile devices direct through a custom app (iphone & android). It will be a few months before their release though as there are a good few things that have to be changed on the current site to make this work but they are in the pipeline and will be coming at some point this year.
Superhuman = Developing mp3unsigned.com
Darth Raver = Forum Administrator

Any questions?.... ask Darth Raver!

Old 01-02-2013, 18:17 PM

High school drummer

EUREKA!

I've found a solution, purely by chance (as a lot of discoveries apparently are).
Previously I reported that it was possible to listen to MP3U tracks on iphone by clicking the download button, but was no longer possible with 4s...

But I've found another workaround. On iPhone, if you click the download button a pop-up window with a link to "download this track" appears. With 3Gs, you just had to click that text link to hear the song, but with 4s clicking the textlink no longer had any effect...

However!

Instead of "clicking" that download icon and waiting for the pop-up, press the download icon and HOLD IT there, and in a couple of seconds the song will start playing. Voila!

If that doesn't work for you, download the free Chrome browser app and use it instead of Safari and I guarantee it will definitely work. I've been doing it since last week!

Old 01-02-2013, 18:57 PM

High school drummer

I guess this whole thread is looking like a Good News / Bad News / Good News joke, but hey! At least it ends good

Old 01-02-2013, 19:06 PM

Software Librarian

TonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to beholdTonyMiller is a splendid one to behold

I've had a similar experience with iPad, but worse, because it's almost impossible to use all the controls on the page. Too fiddly, too many independently scrolling areas. Not possible to select any song except the first, other than from a link to another song. Not possible to scroll songs past the 8th tune. But the double download thing works once a song is selected. Hope it gets resolved because like you, Phil, I do a lot of listening away from my studio computer. Hence not much commenting from me.
Old 02-02-2013, 16:51 PM

High school drummer

I share your pain Tony, but I think this is more of an "Apple refused to co-operate with Flash" issue than "mp3u refused to co-operate with Apple"...

It IS actually possible to scroll past the 8th track, I've found. Not by clicking the scroll tab and dragging it down, but by clicking within the scroll bar below the scroll tab itself. But these contrived workarounds shouldn't be necessary. Here's to hoping that the admin live up to their promises and sort all this out in the next incarnation of the site.

Old 28-04-2013, 15:39 PM
First time at band camp

lokixx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidcyco View Post
EUREKA!

Instead of "clicking" that download icon and waiting for the pop-up, press the download icon and HOLD IT there, and in a couple of seconds the song will start playing. Voila!

If that doesn't work for you, download the free Chrome browser app and use it instead of Safari and I guarantee it will definitely work. I've been doing it since last week!
I tried this solution with my phone and it's really working good! thanks for the inputs!