Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Start Here > News, Features, Tips & Tricks

News, Features, Tips & Tricks News on site updates plus tips and tricks for using the site and forum

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 05-07-2011, 16:56 PM  
ABOUT IPs & VOTEs !!!
Darth Raver Darth Raver is offline 05-07-2011, 16:56 PM

LET US MAKE CLEAR THE PRESENT AND ONGOING POLICY REGARDING VOTES AND IP ADDRESSES:

In theory two or more human beings who independently and honestly have a high personal regard for any given song could vote from one computer and technically no rules have be broken.

However, the mp3u software has no way of knowing how many real humans voted from one IP, therefore the one vote per IP address rule is in effect, in order to eliminate those unscrupulous cheats who would vote hundreds of times from the same computer - just because they could.

Some have called for the abolition of votes accepted from listener accounts, however, we feel outside votes are a good gauge of how the world outside accepts our music.

Therefore, we will continue to accept listener votes, but note:

All votes for any song, be they from musician or listener accounts, will originate from one and only one original IP address.

Multiple accounts attributed to one IP address can sometimes be valid (in the case of musician side projects etc.) however we can no longer accept mutiple votes through different accounts from the same IP on the same song. If any such votes are discovered they will be deleted immediately.

We are serious about this issue, as hopefully is clear from how we dealt with a recent member who reached number 1 by less than honest methods.

Apologies for the Party Pooper tone, but a mod's gotta do what a mod's gotta do.

Your servant,

Darth.

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned

Darth Raver
Admin Group
Views: 6182
Old 08-07-2011, 22:00 PM
* Pop Star *

Hydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura aboutHydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura about

LMAO! Perhaps Giant text that the comp won't be judged by page votes is in order cuz that's just terrible in a few different ways, bit of literacy would help the entrants as well tho.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 AM

Hip hop hummer limo driver

MezzerUK (WAP) will become famous soon enough
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunktional-DJs View Post
you're like a yo-yo

I doubt anyone has left, come back, left...said they not gonna upload and then upload, as much as yourself

I do agree with quite alot of what you said...but it's all BS really.

I don't know how you come to the conclusion about people avoiding.
unless they have told you...other wise that's just in your own head or from personal experience.

I think the site as gone too far to take the chart away...it would have been ideal to do this when the site changed hands...I think been scared of losing members may have played a big factor why it's still here (my opinion)

I use a site, where they are thinking of implementing the no rate or comment = no download.

I think it's BS and does nothing in the long run...welcome to genericness

making people comment and rate is no way a benchmark (so please admin don't go that route)
I upload because you may, or maynot know that some of the guys i work with are from this site, i cant take them away with me and my work... i have no right to do that...

I dont see the need for charts... thats all im saying. I do go and come back,but you have to remember i work with a few guys/girls from this site and i cant say "nope, im not putting that up at MP3" i have no right to do that on work thats joint efforts...

Im just really trying to say, we dont need a chart... why do we need it?..
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Village Idiot

KtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Oakwood View Post
I would also like to see downloads for a song disabled to folk who haven't already voted/commented. I'm just nosey about this stuff.
Hey!..speak for yerself lol.

I get a nice warm fuzzy feeling in me nether regions when I see my download count increase...don't take that away from me

Got to confess I'm sometimes guilty of knicking DL's and then scarpering.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Village Idiot

KtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud ofKtA has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wonders View Post
Hi I have withdrawn my track from your competition because it was recieve many downloaded but no voting. If track is good enough for download, then good enough to vote and competition is not fair. Anska

Last edited by KtA; 09-07-2011 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-07-2011, 17:24 PM

Dude abiding

Deon is on a distinguished road

I guess in terms of credibility of the site, from the perspective of someone coming upon it who isn't familiar with it's working. (and i am not sure how high that credibility issue is with the site owners here, that's an honest remark btw). But in that context, to glance at at chart that, for example, this last week has one artist with 9 entries in the top 20, i can't really feel that this displays the site as one of depth and diversity. However true that maybe. Well either that or the atrist has an immeasureable appeal the listenership here?? Even on the occasions, like this week when i and others have a couple of entries up there. Maybe its an issue of numbers, the size of the site and the activity there.

Maybe it is just a size issue, not enough voting turnover, hence the very minimal voting creating very noticeable movement in positions, and actually i don't have a clue how the weighting thing works either, maybe i should cut and run? anyway only sharing some thoguhts

Yeah it's a sticky issue for sure, but dialogue, i feel always helps if it comes from a place of mutual care and respect, and a desire to bring the most pleasurable experience to the site users as possible...here's to that
Old 10-07-2011, 18:43 PM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deon,

The issue of the artist with nine entries in the Top 20 has been addressed and discussed at length within this forum, especially as it has never happened before.

I hope, as a newcomer, the recent appearance of the charts has not clouded your impression of MP3U permanently.

As most of the MP3U regulars are aware, recently one particular artist was using less than honest methods to get his songs placed high in the charts.

There was an uproar, and as a result in an unprecendented move we banned him and had his songs removed from the charts mid-week, with a new chart generated before the usual Monday rollover.

This had the unexpected effect of seemingly generating a brand new chart with all previous accumulated votes disregarded.

As a result, this other artist who also happened to upload a load of songs within the same week, had the unexpected pleasure of seeing several of his songs appear simultaneously in the Top 20 - also unprecedented in MP3U history.

He was baffled by it himself, but had to fend off accusations of being just another cheat, until we set the record straight.

I hope the above is the kind of open and honest dialogue you were hoping for, and
Welcome again to our site!

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned
Old 10-07-2011, 19:20 PM

Dude abiding

Deon is on a distinguished road

thanks Darth

Sorry if i missed that thread, not unusual for me , and just to reiterate, it wasn't some veiled attack. just trying to get my head around the recent quirkiness which you have kindly done and dialogue with the intention of clarity and improvement.

A an aside I am by no means new to this site, though a couple of considerable periods of absense have resulted in it appearing that way, I have been around since october 2006.

But yeah, absolutely, it's great to hear you are 'loving' the site and have it's best interests at heart for sure.
Old 11-07-2011, 16:03 PM

Learning to play recorder

CyberJazz is on a distinguished road

Just ramblin...

Last edited by CyberJazz; 12-07-2011 at 17:02 PM.. Reason: Don't know what I was thinking...
Old 11-07-2011, 17:46 PM

Village Idiot

Sounds like we're heading towards a fascist state lol.

Restricting DL's seems a bit extreme and a lot of work for no real reason.

As for the charts...c'mon,it's just a bit of fun ffs.

Last edited by KtA; 11-07-2011 at 17:53 PM..
Old 11-07-2011, 19:16 PM

*** VIP ***

Essence is a glorious beacon of lightEssence is a glorious beacon of lightEssence is a glorious beacon of lightEssence is a glorious beacon of lightEssence is a glorious beacon of lightEssence is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deon View Post

Maybe it is just a size issue, not enough voting turnover, hence the very minimal voting creating very noticeable movement in positions, and actually i don't have a clue how the weighting thing works either, maybe i should cut and run? anyway only sharing some thoguhts

Yeah it's a sticky issue for sure, but dialogue, i feel always helps if it comes from a place of mutual care and respect, and a desire to bring the most pleasurable experience to the site users as possible...here's to that
For me, as usual Deon you are the voice of reason! Kind of miffed to see admin ticking you off as a newb when you have been here for the last best part of 5 years and have bought such beautiful music to the site imo!

You make a very good point about the size of the place also....it's always been an issue as far as I can see.

Some guy manipulated the charts, he got bollocked, admin made their point. I think it should end there really to be blunt. Just my opinion I agree with KTA also for the record.