Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Chat > Rant

Rant Something Annoying you, vent here

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 29-09-2017, 13:21 PM  
Worse than "drop and run"
DJC DJC is offline 29-09-2017, 13:21 PM

There are always gonna be those who use this site as just another place to park their songs, no time or no interest in being part of the community. It's a free site, that's their choice and I respect that. What's chapping my ass is the new members who seem to think this place is a ready-made personal fan club for them and only leave comments on their own tunes after someone's given them a listen. I've got no beef with those who leave comments on their own songs thanking listeners, as long as I see them making time to listen to others on the site. If they've got talent, and are doing that, they'll get listens from me and I don't really care whether they check out my tunes or not. Seeing these guys push interesting, relevant comments from members of the community off the front page just to promote themselves and their tune....grrr. Find somewhere else to do it.

DJC
Pub band singer
Views: 887
Old 01-10-2017, 13:52 PM

*** GIT ***

James Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the roughJames Oakwood is a jewel in the rough

The artist's own blurb about their song can easily be edited to include thank you messages at the end. Or maybe one global thank you thanking everyone is best but, if the site could be fixed-up to prevent selfies from appearing that would be best.
Old 01-10-2017, 14:04 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

I agree, if I was thanking people, I would do it less. Be best waiting for other comments and do it in one go. Something I never do as I pretty much return every comment left. So that's my thank you for the visit It would annoy my OCD if I was to thank everyone as my comment rate ratio would be all over the place

Old 01-10-2017, 14:31 PM
Hip hop hummer limo driver

tbwig is on a distinguished road

I will take responding to questions and thank-you's posted on a musician's own page anytime. It signals something positive. However, I do not understand it when some may only leave a brief "thanks" with no subsequent or prior effort to go out and become active. That is, perhaps, more of what DJC was referencing in this thread?

To me, it speaks more to how this site is perceived as just another repository of music to be used for self-promotion, rather than as community of unsigned artists: composers, lyricists, song-writers, producers, vocalists, and instrumentalists of all genres and styles.

Ricky has it right, I think, with his advice to learn to let it all go and carry on. I still try to leave a few words about participating if the artist is new, or one who has not yet become more active. Our TIME is the most valuable thing we can offer to give freely on this site. We Listen! ( the shorter the track the better, for me these days Listening is a gift. Informed commenting is a gift. Our ears hear different things and our expertise may be in specific areas, but all of this is valuable. I value the encouragement and the suggestions. I guess it all comes down to choices and freedom: We are free to choose to join in, to become active, and free to choose not to listen or comment.

Long live mp3u! Warts (wrinkles) and all.
Old 01-10-2017, 14:42 PM
DarrenG

Default Oops!

Thanks James for pointing me to this thread, bringing it to my attention.
I'm sorry if I was pissing people off by leaving too many 'thank you ' replies
I was aware I was probably relying too often to each person ( something I never used to when first joined) it just became a habit I suppose, especially having the email notifications..I just would reply straight away.
In future I think I'll turn off email notifications..and just give a collective 'Thanks ' to everyone at end of week might be best. Lol.
I hope you realise I was only thanking others and not voting for myself.
I agree maybe the site could do an update to maybe only allow 1 or 2 comments on your own page?
Anyway, if I'd known earlier I would have stopped sooner.
Thanks everyone..have a good day
Old 01-10-2017, 14:52 PM
Pub band singer

DJC is on a distinguished road

We're all out for listens to our music, a close second if not of equal value is an opportunity to hear music by those we've come to respect as artists, or as friends.

Gratitude is one thing; self-promotion is another. No one should be taking advantage of the site to do the latter and carrying it to extremes. When I stop by the site's front page with limited time, my eyes first go to the latest releases where I look for artists I know, or someone clever enough title their song in such a way to grab my attention. Then I have a look at the comments section to see what's interesting there. It's such a small section, those don't stay on the front page long before getting replaced. Having that filled up with thank you's, or worse blatant self promotion (there was a guy doing that last night) irritates me as it seems to be infringing on other people's ability to get their songs heard. Quite often it's an interesting comment I've seen on an artist I haven't heard that has me giving them a first listen.
Old 01-10-2017, 15:02 PM
Pub band singer

DJC is on a distinguished road

As Eric pointed out earlier in this thread, there have been times when the site has been so dead that any activity at all was a welcome sign of life. The community hasn't been responsive enough to educate new members on what's considered "acceptable" and admin's "hands off" approach hasn't helped clear things up.

This thread wasn't intended to point fingers, or embarrass anyone (well, maybe the guy last night), just a reminder we're all here pretty much for the same thing, don't infringe on others ability to get it.
Old 01-10-2017, 15:16 PM
DarrenG

Hi David. I agree with your points and your main article..I was told by James Oakwood to look at this thread, so thought it was regarding me. I can see you were originally speaking in general about people only commenting on their own songs and no one else's. I agree with you on that.
I'm glad I read it as I am now also aware I will not leave a 'thankyou' comment after each one I agree the main page where comments are is not long enough, should have a scroll bar, or better still, if you make a comment on your own page, fix it so it doesn't appear on main home page.
Old 01-10-2017, 15:49 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

I personally don't see commenting on your own songs gains anything,really, other than it can hide sneaky votes. Reg users of the site no pretty much only artists rate. With the odd rate from users who don't want to leave a comment or like I do from time to time rate a track when I've listened because I'm not going to be around to return comments that week. So if a song has more rates than comments its probably due to outside help or cheating. Outside help isn't cheating and was always allowed in my time here as long as its from that users account and computer not the artists. But if a song has 17 comments and 12 rates it doesn't stand out unless you look at the comments and work out that the rate to comment ratio is miles out I see that quite a bit on here and not just one user I see this quite often and by quite a few users.

Old 01-10-2017, 16:32 PM
DarrenG

Well I usually have more comments than votes..but that was because I was replying to every comment lol..won't as much now I know.
But yeah sometimes I've had comments and no vote, other times a vote and no comment..it don't matter to me, I'm just grateful for 1 comment or vote.
Old 01-10-2017, 17:46 PM

Wub My Ballz

My comment wasn't aimed at you Darren all though some of your tracks the rate to vote comment is questionable and the part about nothing is gained about commenting on your own work, was that, for me, its not a problem when people comment their own tracks. It doesn't give an unfair gain like rating your own tracks. Now if I was seeing it like people comment their own tracks to gain exposure on the front page, like the O.G post is about, I'd have quite a bit to say on this but like I said it doesn't bother me and its pointless making anything about it because admin don't think its a problem.