Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Chat > Success Stories

Success Stories Nothing better than good news, tell all here

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-05-2013, 15:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Soundcloud success but I don't know how
GreyB GreyB is offline 06-05-2013, 15:27 PM

So, I've had a Soundcloud account for some years which has pretty much just ambled along with the odd person playing a track or two.

And then, a few months ago, it suddenly burst into life with one track (The Lark's Lament by GreyBrow on SoundCloud - Hear the world?s sounds) receiving between 100 and 200 plays A DAY!

Lovely, but I have no idea why or where all these people are coming from as I have never promoted my Soundcloud account in my life. I now have nearly 13,000 plays of which getting on for 9,000 are just from this track.

Out of interest, does anyone have a better understanding of how Soundcloud works than I do and where all these hits might be coming from.

Thanks!

GB

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent."
Marilyn vos Savant

GreyB
Senior Moderator
Views: 3007
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 15:49 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

A quick guess would be the title. Just type the title in to google and there are 11,300,000 searches.

The lack of comments and download ratio, says it's probably not soundcloud users. Not saying it isn't but I see tracks on soundcloud with that kinda of hits with equal amount of comments.

Can't help on how to use souncloud. I do like you, just upload and leave. Not a fan of souncloud to be honest. It's like myspace with the comments followed by check my page.

Old 06-05-2013, 16:00 PM

Senior Moderator

GreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunktional-DJs View Post
A quick guess would be the title. Just type the title in to google and there are 11,300,000 searches.

The lack of comments and download ratio, says it's probably not soundcloud users. Not saying it isn't but I see tracks on soundcloud with that kinda of hits with equal amount of comments.

Can't help on how to use souncloud. I do like you, just upload and leave. Not a fan of souncloud to be honest. It's like myspace with the comments followed by check my page.
Yes, I know there's a book called The Lark's Lament but that's been around for years. It doesn't explain why, in the middle of March, this track suddenly started getting so many hits and hasn't stopped. I did wonder if someone had shared or embedded it somewhere but my Soundcloud stats are supposed to show that and nada!

I agree with you about comments and downloads (although there are plenty of others in a similar position) but it can't be a robot or web spider as the stats only record unique hits (so it doesn't matter how many times I view my own page, it never registers ).

Still bemused.

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent."
Marilyn vos Savant
Old 06-05-2013, 16:07 PM

Wub My Ballz

Disfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enoughDisfunktional-DJs will become famous soon enough

Could be a re-release ebook or something. It's probably the title. if you haven't been promoting. Could just be the genre and lots of views in that genre. I honestly don't think it's soundcloud users without any comments. If so it's not going down too well. That's not a dig but that amount of views and no feedback

Old 06-05-2013, 16:10 PM

Wub My Ballz

Also could be the larks maggie maggie maggie (out out out) that is bringing up hits.

Old 06-05-2013, 17:42 PM

Senior Moderator

GreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant futureGreyB has a brilliant future

I don't disagree with any of this Ricky, but 200 a day? From all over the world? Still seems a bit odd to me. Maybe I should just accept it and enjoy the fact I've now had nearly 13,000 plays (and counting). A much nicer problem than "no-one listens to my music"

Marilyn vos Savant
Old 06-05-2013, 17:43 PM

Senior Moderator

And, of course, it could be that it's a fantastic piece of music that people immediately fall in love with and can't wait to let everyone they know how good it is!

Marilyn vos Savant
Old 06-05-2013, 18:42 PM

Wub My Ballz

I was just slinging ideas, Graham. It could be alot of people have found it online. I hope it is that. It be nice. I know I'd feel good about it if I was in your position.

The title rings a bell in my head. Is it the one I said reminded me of the theme tune from Shrek?

Old 06-05-2013, 19:31 PM

Senior Moderator

Yes Ricky, it's "that" tune (again). It would seem that it's going to haunt me forever.

It may not have come over as I meant it, but I do appreciate the ideas. I'd just like to know one way or the other. Probably never will though. Hey ho!

Marilyn vos Savant
Old 15-05-2013, 17:45 PM

Hip hop hummer limo driver

Erik Jurado is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you are being stalked by about 10 people. I imagine each stalker listens anywhere from 10 to 20 times each day hoping to be the first in line for your next upload. That's what I do when I like someone's tunes that I'm not allowed to download - I stalk.

If I am allowed a download, I thank the artist, add the song to my iTunes, then go on my merry way. But something about the songs that I'm not allowed to download makes me feel off-balanced - I gotta have that song! That's when I hang out on the artists page each day and imagine what it would be like to have my own copy of their song. And as far as knowing how SoundCloud works - it's a combination of having a cool name that sounds as if you are listening to music up on a cloud and a little bit of programming magic.

LMAO! No, I'm messing around - I wonder about how that stuff works on this site too. I have some songs that have realistic download numbers, and some songs that are ridiculously high. I don't trust these numbers, I don't trust ReverbNation numbers, I don't trust SoundCloud numbers, I don't trust Mixposure numbers - I have witnessed mistakes on each of these sites - for instance, Mixposure was claiming I listened to a song twice for each visit I made to anyone's page. SoundCloud counted about 100 plays after I uploaded one of my songs when NOBODY listened to the previous 2 songs that I uploaded. This site claimed I had 15 downloads about an hour after I uploaded one of my songs, and then there were no downloads for the next few days. Little things like that don't make any sense. Actually, my first answer seems to make the most sense - stalkers who don't have permission to download. HAHAHA! But then again, we are free to believe whatever the hell we want to believe - so, live it up! Maybe I should live it up too, come to think of it.

Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyB View Post
So, I've had a Soundcloud account for some years which has pretty much just ambled along with the odd person playing a track or two.

And then, a few months ago, it suddenly burst into life with one track (The Lark's Lament by GreyBrow on SoundCloud - Hear the world?s sounds) receiving between 100 and 200 plays A DAY!

Lovely, but I have no idea why or where all these people are coming from as I have never promoted my Soundcloud account in my life. I now have nearly 13,000 plays of which getting on for 9,000 are just from this track.

Out of interest, does anyone have a better understanding of how Soundcloud works than I do and where all these hits might be coming from.

Thanks!

GB