Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Chat > Success Stories

Success Stories Nothing better than good news, tell all here

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 30-07-2014, 19:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
success has many forms
TWig 30-07-2014, 19:11 PM

Just a thought, in light or Pete's comment on the Court of Public Opinion, regarding what is meant by the term success.

I think BBC Introducing is a great program for local artists, and I am glad to have helped with some songs getting a local announcer's attention. It is not THE measure of success for music, by any stretch of the imagination. It is but one indicator of something beyond MP3U for the music being featured and that is good and to be celebrated. I don't think it is a measure of arriving at a plateau, but it is something different for a lot of us, and for those who never thought they would ever hear their own stuff on public (or even private) air play, it is a grand thing and worthy of a few laughs and a Moosehead toast.

Other measures are around, and I do wish others would draw our community attention to the other forms of success. I have noticed, in the past, someone getting a song placed in a video, or even within a game. There may even a public performance of a song, or a cuing of a track on a dance floor. I have not heard much of these things, so it would be nice to learn of more successes, apart from BBC Introducing.

I would like to note Guy Frisson, a songwriter, but not a musician, who is posting his ideas to his page and he is simply an artist speaking, chanting, rendering out a lyric, and inviting the participation of musicians on mp3u to support his offerings. Coming alongside of an artist like this, and helping, is also a form of success. When we support others, we are encouraging greater exdpression, more risk-taking, more experimentation, and that is good for everyone, I think. Do we learn of these seemingly more modest endeavours? Not really, and it is our loss.

I recall Andy mentioning playing live at his daughter's graduation. Awesome! Andy is not one to toot his own horn , much but does anyone besides myself know of these things? Perhaps there are other unmentioned successes out there on mp3u. We all need to hear of these things. It helps us all when we learn of all the variety of ways music created by artists on mp3u is getting out. Someone helping, someone performing, someone doing something, anywhere, anyhow, anytime, that builds others up, supports the cause of music, recording, performance, creativity, and expression. Let's hear from you!!

BBC Introducing is great, and I celebrate all those from mp3u who have enjoyed that success! Now let's hear of all the other successes!!

TWig
Views: 1664
Sponsored Links
Old 31-07-2014, 10:28 AM
*** VIP ***

dawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nicedawnsinclair is just really nice

I suppose I count every song I ever collaborated on a personal success for me since I LOVE music yet have no trained abilities in any instrument, nor can I sing. Still, outside of this generality, there have been a couple of extra boosts to the ego.

The first was when an accapella singer contacted me and asked if he could make a cover version of a song I had written the words for, one I had persuaded Juri and Amy to compose and perform for a large group of South African Aids orphans who I was teaching via the internet. In effect, this was the first time anyone ever asked to do a cover version of one of mine.

The second was also a cover version (of "that" song I did with TUMC...Life Tastes Better Outside.... but this time performed by members of my son's Indie band who are pretty well known in my home town of Brighton and who supported Californian band Grandaddy on their English tour....never been so proud in my life.

The third was a local radio/newspaper coverage of a song I wrote with Ron Gletherow as a tribute to the two Brighton murdered children we call The Babes in The Wood which was also kindly sold in the main City Centre branch of HMV for the following 6 months.

Small successes in other people's eyes maybe...but they mean the world to me.

Like I say, every single time an artist, here on any other site where I have posted songs, asks me for a lyric....I am thrilled to bits and I have loved working with every single one of them and all the artists too(including you Terry so thanks for this post darlin)

....yeah I consider myself successful in many ways.
Old 31-07-2014, 13:56 PM
TWig

That's just the kind of thing we need to hear, Dawn!
Now who's next?
Old 22-08-2014, 17:01 PM
Member of The Human Race

LIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to beholdLIQUID is a splendid one to behold

As Terry says success comes in all guises and is also very personal in measure. I recall the first time I heard 'Universe' by Gravityslip and I was mesmerised. As far as I know Pete has never played the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury or sold 100k in downloads but at that moment his success was as big as it gets. As a kid I used to buy every record or book David Bowie would publish and not many could have more success than him but by the end I was buying it for the sake of it yet it wasn't having the impact on me that Pete's track did so success is a little more complex than sales units would suggest.

Personally I dont aspire for commercial success musically but for those on here that do don't give up and dont forget MP3U when you get it

Ant

Music is the silence between the notes
- Claude Debussy
Old 28-08-2014, 22:39 PM

Misery Warlock

Black Wookie is on a distinguished road

Wow so people really think success is measured in sales units? I think not. That's commercial success sure, but real success is being recognised for your skills by your peers and , more importantly, yourself.

Making money from it is good, but there is far more to it than that. People who sell their music for others to use make good money but receive no recognition. Is that success because they make money from it?

I make NO money from Dragged Into Sunlight, but I do enjoy writing and working hard on it all the same. I have played in many places around the world from the UK to Europe to America. To me, that is a true measure of success.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Hip hop hummer limo driver

tbwig is on a distinguished road
Default Eric and Wookie...how about writing some highlights from the gigs?

I guess I would simply like to encourage those who are getting out to venues of any sort, with their music, to write a little about what they enjoyed (or didn't) and bring a little slice of the "live" stuff to the website here so we can all vicariously dream of other days when we might have wanted to get out and perform.

Perhaps there are some who used to perform back in some distant past. It would be an education to learn of these experiences too. Think of sharing these things as more of a history lesson for us than tooting your own horn. Some artists may be reluctant to share because it sounds too self-indulgent. Nope. It is just a history of times and places and points of interest.

I hope a few will rise to the challenge. I hear Will is taking to an open-mic circuit in his neck of the woods. Tell us about those moments, Will. Wookie and Eric? You too?

All the best,
Terry
Old 05-12-2014, 22:19 PM

Misery Warlock

Your idea is pretty good Terry. The only issue is that I play in pitch black darkness facing away from the audience shrouded in clouds of dry ice and strobe lighting. Hard to give you an impression of playing live.

As for touring, it is hard to convey the essence of it. DIS carry a full back line that consists of a full drumkit, 6 cabinets, 4 amp heads and various paraphernalia for the stage. For an underground band, ALL the logistics, planning and organisation of a tour is micro managed by ourselves alone.

I have played every kind of venue possible from an underground car park to a mighty cathedral and seen/ experienced many, many strange things out there on the road. In short, I have paid my dues hard over the last 20 years of active playing.

It is hard to know where to begin really, as it is all a crazy blur of chaos and short lived adrenaline infused cacophony, punctuated by long tedious hours jammed into a cramped van full of gear, merch and fcensoredked tour zombies.

If anyone wants to know, then ask. I will be happy to answer and share with you within reason.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Hip hop hummer limo driver

tbwig is on a distinguished road
Default 20 yrs on the road...leads to a Wookie rampage :)

This is a good description! Has plenty of details of the challenges you have faced over the years: managing the tours on your on your own, venues, vehicles, gear...tells the life of performing very well, with no fluff (just in case anyone had illusions about life on the road). Still, would you trade these experiences? Sounds grueling, but I suspect you had a love-hate thing going on with the tour.

Any pics to share on your page or elsewhere...here in this thread?

Welcome back from the tour! and thanks for letting us know what it is like to go on a Black Wookie Rampage with you

All the best,
Terry
Old 06-12-2014, 14:01 PM

Misery Warlock

If anybody wants to see pictures and reviews then google DRAGGED INTO SUNLIGHT
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 PM
TWig

Default pics of performances

Googled, saw a few pics, a few of the band, a few of venues...which one is you? Thanks for the advice to google your band. Same guys all these years or a turnover of members? Are you glad you've done the touring/gig aspect of music? Or would you rather just write and record? Is the band idea a challenge (keeping everyone focused and working together) or does it provide the dynamic necessary to make some interesting tunes and performances?

Well done! Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your tour

All the best,
Terry