Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Start Here > Support Desk

Support Desk Post technical support queries here for the main site and forum

""

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 27-05-2017, 23:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Notification
Ray Brookes Ray Brookes is offline 27-05-2017, 23:05 PM

I'm still not receiving email notifications about any comments i get. My email address is correct and I have the appropriate box ticked. Is there anybody there on the support desk or do these threads go straight to the trash? I only ask as this is about the third time I've asked for support.

Ray Brookes
Playing air guitar in front of the mirror
Views: 490
Sponsored Links
Old 28-05-2017, 00:27 AM

Toshaq is on a distinguished road

This is an issue only admin can address,Ray.
If you're on Facebook, you may have better luck getting a reply via MP3U's page on there.
Old 02-06-2017, 17:07 PM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, I'm sorry to say, but email notifications for comments were scrapped about three years ago.

The reason for scrapping them was this: multiple users were complaining about constant error messages appearing every time they posted comments. We researched the issue and discovered that

AUTOMATIC EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS WERE THE CAUSE OF "ERROR MESSAGES WHEN COMMENTING" HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

We were just as baffled by the error messages at first, but eventually figured it out due to two clues:

1) The error messages occurred when commenting on some artists' tracks, but never on other artists' tracks.
2) Despite the "error while commenting" message the comments were always actually posted. This led to a lot of frustration as many people assumed the first comment didn't go through, and they ended up typing the same message (or as close as they could remember) all over again, only to get another error message and then discover later that both comments DID go through.

This in turn led to a lot of double comments on tracks, and understandably doubly-frustrated artists.

As it turned out, every time someone commented and clicked 'add your comment', mp3u tried to send the artist an automatic notification of the comment (for those artists who requested to receive notifications), and the problem was, mail servers were interpreting these automatic e-mails as SPAM, and blocking them. This error while sending the notification was relayed back to mp3u and displayed onscreen as an "error occurred while commenting".

It was decided and agreed to (by general consensus, I believe) to disable the notification feature as a temporary solution to put an end to the error messages and wasting time re-typing entire comments ad nauseam. 'Temporary' meaning until we found a way to reinstate the notification feature so that the notifications wouldn't be interpreted as SPAM.

After doing so, the problem seemed to have been solved. There were no complaints about error messages and the double message thing seemed to completely clear up too.

In the intervening three years no-one had specifically requested the return of comment notifications, so we figured there was no real need to reinstate it, potentially causing the old error message debacle to begin anew... Again, if and when we relaunch MP3U 3.0 notifications will certainly be worthy of consideration, but until then, it doesn't seem worth it due to the problems it might cause...

I hope this explanation has been helpful, if not exactly good news

D.

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned
Old 02-06-2017, 20:32 PM
Pub band singer

DJC is on a distinguished road

I still get notifications about comments in my email. It's kind of handy, but I wouldn't miss it overmuch if it was gone.
Old 02-06-2017, 23:04 PM
Playing air guitar in front of the mirror

Ray Brookes will become famous soon enoughRay Brookes will become famous soon enough
Default email messages

"Ray, I'm sorry to say, but email notifications for comments were scrapped about three years ago."

Er ok. Seems weird though as I was receiving notifications up to about a month ago and have been for several years.
Old 03-06-2017, 19:27 PM

Admin Group

Darth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond reputeDarth Raver has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, I owe you an apology. It was decided three years ago that we should scrap the email notification feature. Several users have told me that they have been using that feature up to now.
Again, the reason it caused problems for some users but not all, was because some mail servers interpreted the notifications of new comments as spam and blocked them (causing the instant error message for the commenter), despite their comment being published regardless.
For people with mail servers which did not reject the notifications, there was never any need to disable notifications. We explained all this at the time, and even that some mail servers seemed OK with notifications, but considering that some people might miss the memo, and new members would certainly be unaware, that disabling notifications across the board would be simplest solution to prevent any further issues.
It was my understanding that we had done that, but apparently it was never written into the code (unless it was, but mistakenly reinstated during a subsequent site fix).
Ultimately, notifications would be a great feature if they worked, but sadly they cause nothing but problems...

Follow Us On:
facebook.com/mp3unsigned

twitter.com/mp3unsigned