Go Back   MP3Unsigned Forum > Articles and Interviews > Articles > Uncategorised Articles

Uncategorised Articles No category for you article yet? Post here and we'll take care of it.

"
"

LinkBack (1) Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes

Old
retired for now...
Ciao4Now has a spectacular aura aboutCiao4Now has a spectacular aura aboutCiao4Now has a spectacular aura about
Default How to build your own vocal booth and pop shield.
by Ciao4Now 15-03-2010, 11:57 AM

This is a tutorial for anyone who records vocals in their home studio.

I have supplied step by step instructions with photographs to building your own vocal booth and pop shield using everyday household items.

So, here it is....

The first thing that I did was use a 1mm drill to prebore holes around my loft (attic) hatch and then screw in some hooks. Preboring with a drill helps prevent the wood from splitting.

Next step was to use some washers and a needle and thread to sew the washers onto a couple of old duvets (comforters) using the hooks already up as a guide to the required spacing.

When I had finished that, I hung the duvets from the hooks.

Which left me with a small, insulted space. I used two duvets and doubled it over at the door which leads into the room I have my recording equipment. I tried a photo of this, but it looked like a doorway with a duvet in it, which is easy enough to imagine.

My obvious next move was to put the microphone onto the stand and place it into the "booth".

I then began work on the pop shield, or popper stopper as it is more commonly known.

I used an old wire coat hanger, a cable tie, the foot off the wife's best tights (stockings), some gaffer tape, snips and pliers.

First off, I used the pliers to bend the hooked part of the hanger into the shape that I required to fit my mic stand.

I cut a piece of the hanger out using the snips. I removed most of the large straight part at the bottom, but not all of it. I used the two bends at the corners to twist over each other and stuck it with gaffer tape. I then bent the wire hanger into a circular shape by hand (although if you wear gloves you can sit it on the radiator for half an hour to heat it up and make it easier to manipulate into shape)

Then on got the tights and held in place with a cable tie at the bottom.

I covered all of the other bare metal up with gaffer tape (duct tape) for safety reasons.

Next up, the big test, does it fit the mic stand?

And lo and behold, it looked all pretty.

And the job was, in fact, a good 'un.

Hope that helps out anyone who records vocals. It made a massive difference to the sound I was getting and makes working with vocals much easier without any background interference.

T-Bone
Views 9137 Comments 17
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 17

Comments

Old 15-03-2010, 12:26 PM

*** VIP ***

stiffjesus has a spectacular aura aboutstiffjesus has a spectacular aura about

Thus proving that necessity is the mother of invention.
Nice construction. Ingenious even
Old 15-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Site Coder, Axe Shredder and Banner of Spamming Idiots

Superhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to beholdSuperhuman is a splendid one to behold

Very nice, the cheapest vocal booth solution I've ever seen I'll be putting one of those into the Command Centre
Superhuman = Developing mp3unsigned.com
Darth Raver = Forum Administrator

Any questions?.... ask Darth Raver!

Old 16-03-2010, 01:34 AM

*** GIT ***

James Oakwood will become famous soon enoughJames Oakwood will become famous soon enough
Smile

I use a paranoid/parabolic mic (which apparently does a good job at noise cancelling) and hold it in me hand whilst sat at the PC in me underpants. Sometimes I am fully clothed but I find it muffles the natural skin reverb.

I'm thinking that either....

a) I'm missing something
b) me voice is crap so it doesn't matter
c) I'm drunk (possibly)
d) I'm not into DIY

yeah that's it hee hee

Serious comment - I just hold the mic in me hand in front of the PC and make vocal noises. Nothing less nothin more and that's the truth. Oh yeah and I stop pops by editing the wav file of me vox (now and then when the pops become intolerable). Eq is a big deal, so is compression. I'm missing summat I'm sure (shure)

Last edited by James Oakwood; 16-03-2010 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: Serious comment
Old 16-03-2010, 15:10 PM

Analogue Abuser

Dave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant futureDave Fountain has a brilliant future

Post of the year so far, excellent work The only thing that you could add is make sure the duvets are reasonably fresh and clean, you don't want to be shrouded in stale odours staring at the piss stain Uncle Bert left.
Old 16-03-2010, 16:37 PM

retired for now...

Ciao4Now has a spectacular aura aboutCiao4Now has a spectacular aura aboutCiao4Now has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fountain View Post
The only thing that you could add is make sure the duvets are reasonably fresh and clean, you don't want to be shrouded in stale odours staring at the piss stain Uncle Bert left.
All adds to the ambience, and makes the singer do the job quicker if the duvets stink
Old 27-03-2010, 04:06 AM

*** VIP ***

dark genius is on a distinguished road

I am bloody impressed T-Bone!
A cheap solution that anyone with [or even without] a drill can makefor about $30-$40!
I am surprised that the companies who sell acoustic absorbing materials have not hired a hacker to deleted this page...I would!

The above link is just one example

Studio Panels cost $158 per 2 foot square panel!!!!
While there vendors would argue that it has superior sound absorbing qualities, I would respond by using many duvets and experimenting with feather duvets. Has anyone thought about using a 'space foam' mattress?
Only $230 for a double mattress with a craft knife some gaffer tape and a lot of patience I am sure you could make a kick ass booth! The best part is when you become infuriated at yourself for not singing your best you can throw your microphone around in frustration with minimal damage
Old 24-05-2010, 01:48 AM
*** VIP ***

Hydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura aboutHydro Hellsing has a spectacular aura about

I definitely need a booth, I'd read about using comforters before but hadn't seen any pics, I'm gonna get started on that little project pretty quick as my mic picks up everything lol I've got some recording to do for ppl as well so I'd better get started tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Learning to play recorder

JAQUE VOLTRADES is on a distinguished road

sorted...out come the old duvets under the bed

nice one

JV
Old 10-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Learning to play recorder

JAQUE VOLTRADES is on a distinguished road
Default hang the mic

a wee trick i use is to hang your mic from the ceiling...no pops are un heard noises to creep up on mix eg...no squeeky floorboards

pleezed to pass on

JV